CCS into a VR with Interstage question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default CCS into a VR with Interstage question

Hi, I am in the process of designing an 45 DHT amp using a C3g as the driver tube. The current intent is to use a 1:1 interstage transformer to couple between the C3g and the 45. I have a specific question regarding the use of a VR tube and CCS on the driver stage. My question is this, if I use a 0D3 to get a regulated 150 V plate voltage for the C3g.

In my understanding, in this situation, say we need around 10 mA for the 0D3 and the C3g is biased around 10 mA also. If I were to use a CCS before the VR tube and the interstage transformer, would I set the CCS at 20 mA, and the additional voltage swing and current swing would be provided by the interstage transformer. Am I right in this regard?

If one doesn't use a interstage transformer, I understand that the VR tube has to conduct the full range of current swing on the C3g tube. For example, if the swing is +/- 5 mA for the C3g biased at 10mA, and the would be 5 to 15 mA, therefore, the VR tube would need to be biased at 15 mA (10 mA minimum, plus 5 mA), so that with the plus and minus 5 mA, would not cause the 0D3 to have less than 10 mA across it. So, in this example, if I were to use a CCS, the CCS should be set to 25 mA.

Am I correct in my assumptions above? Or do I have it totally wrong? Thanks for any input.

Hide this!Advertise here!