• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EL84/6BQ5 does it better?

I think the 6V6 is in a position where it just does not have any advantages over other tubes in the same PO range.

They have been used in SE output stages of radios in the past.

There is no reason not to use them in audio amps, and there have been a few PP amps discussed here.

The 6V6GT was quite common in late 40's and 50's vintage HiFi amps especially Magnavox. I used to get them from old console HiFi's and radios at the trash dump as a kid in the 60's. The consoles went out of fashion in the 60's and were replaced with component systems when stereo became popular. Cost and size were major drivers, so the 6BQ5 won on those counts.

Both were popular in guitar amps. Here, the 6V6 sings the blues, while the EL84 rocks.

I made a universal pcb having 6SL7 as a voltage amplifier / cathodyne phase splitter and 6V6, 5881, 6L6, EL34 etc. output tubes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Below the schematic but with 5881 and higher +Ub.

It works really well.

Hi,

I've build a pp triode connected 6v6 amp about 12 years ago (first tube power amp ever) and it is still the sweetest and most delicate sounding thing I've ever made. Nothing (i've got) beats it with classical, jazz or singer songwriter music. No reason not to use it imho.

Joris

The fellow who mentioned triode connected 6V6s is spot on. In this power range, you have to use costly #45 DHTs to do "better".

The "guts" of the 6V6 are found in quite a few other types, with the 12V6 being very obvious. The list includes: 6AQ5, 6CM6, 7C5, 12AB5, 6005, and 7408.

The 6V6 family tubes are wonderful in HIFI applications. They work well in full pentode, ultralinear, and triode modes. While the EL84 makes a decent triode, it is outclassed by the 6V6.

The fellow who mentioned triode connected 6V6s is spot on. In this power range, you have to use costly #45 DHTs to do "better".

I have both a triode 6V6 and a 45 TSE. The 45 is definitely a better amp, but it uses Electra Print OPT's while the SSE 6V6 runs the $29 Edcors. The differences are not worth the 4 or 5 X factor in price though.

and plugging in a 6EZ5 in place of hte 6V6 is even yummier

I should have kept my mouth shut on that one a while longer. The 6EZ5 has vanished from the $1 menu.

I'm actually building that amp right now, but with NOS GE 6v6/6sl7 tubes. I was drilling the chassis up until a few minutes ago and learned (like a dummy) that you don't drill hard steel wearing no shirt and shoes...lol. OUCH!

I bread boarded that amp a few months ago and was really impressed with the sound. The output transformers were from a Hammond Organ. Since the OPTs didn't have UL taps I am running the amp in triode mode. The coupling caps that I used were all K40 type PIO. The sound was very good, and I was surprised at how good the organ transformers sounded.

If you go the route of building the amp mentioned, you will be pleasantly surprised at the sound if you use quality parts. Although I would suggest getting OPTs from some place like Edcor, you can get older alternatives from flea-bay and it might save you a few bucks.

They make pretty decent amps as can be seen in the modified Rick Spencer design in audioXpress 12/01 where he used 12V6 and 12SL7 in a Class AB push-pull amp but also included the modifications should you want to use the 6V6 and 6SL7 tubes instead.

I should have kept my mouth shut on that one a while longer. The 6EZ5 has vanished from the $1 menu.

:D can't help it......but U$4 is still cheap in my book....

otoh, last time i looked the 12W6 is still a dollar tube at Rogalski's....:D

Attachments

• 6EZ5 IMG_3666.jpg
    6EZ5 IMG_3666.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_3724.JPG
    IMG_3724.JPG
    894.2 KB · Views: 456
Probably due to the 14W power output for a PP pair in Class AB1. These days, folks what more watts. Understandable since a PP pair of 6BQ6GAs can do 37W, and sound as good.

I would think the wanting "more watts" is due to the fact that most folks don't have efficient speakers these days. Most that you find are in the 84-86db range. I guess that manufacturers decided that since solid state can put out lots of power they don't need to design for efficiency. Pretty sad really considering that a few watts and really efficient speakers can run you out of a room.

If you go the route of building the amp mentioned, you will be pleasantly surprised at the sound if you use quality parts. Although I would suggest getting OPTs from some place like Edcor, you can get older alternatives from flea-bay and it might save you a few bucks.

I am anticipating some good sound on the cheap from such a low parts count PP amp and I like the flexibility that is in the design.

I already have the 12V6 and 12SL7 tubes and probably will go with some new Hammonds (they are down the road from me not that far) and reuse a chassis and put a plate over the top. I am probably going to use screw terminal blocks for each of the one resistor, one cap per side, and terminate the 6 volt taps from the transformer just in case I ever get a quad of 6V6 and a pair of 6SL7 tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.