TubeCad blues... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2013, 10:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TubeCad blues...

Hi everyone!
I've got an annoying problem, suddenly, my Tubecad software does not work anymore. An Error message appears, even after re installing the program from the GlassWare CD.
Maybe some one out there had stomped on the same thing, and can point me to a possible solution. I'm running it on Win 7 OS
kind regards
J.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TCAD err.gif (34.8 KB, 259 views)
Old 6th September 2013, 12:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Same here, it won't run for me on Win 7. I run it on a WinXP virtual machine. Works OK that way.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Try running it in WinXP compatibility mode. You can also try to let Win7 troubleshot the compatibility.
Old 6th September 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

I wanted to try out TubeCAD, but it appears it's been removed from John Broskie's sites. Anyone know if it's still available anywhere? Or is it officially discontinued?

--
Old 6th September 2013, 05:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks people, I'll try to work around the compatibility issue, then report..
Old 6th September 2013, 06:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi again, now running the soft under Win XP sp3 compatibility, the warning message is still present on screen, but the program works, doing the job, as usual, just you need to tolerate this stupid error message being continuosly present on screen...
Old 6th September 2013, 08:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I sent an email to John Broskie some time ago (when Microsoft Vista came out) reporting the same kinds of problems. He never responded so I'm not sure you can count on the Tube CAD software ever getting updated to work with any OS later than Windows XP.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, got the same thinking, so I asked for help on the faithful DiyAudio forum.. :-))
Old 6th September 2013, 10:09 PM   #9
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a good use candidate for a virtual machine then. Some versions of Windoze 7 support that. If yours doesn't, you can set up VM using VMware or VirtualBox.

Personally, I use a Windoze XP VM running in VMware on my Mac for the software that requires Windoze.

~Tom
Old 6th September 2013, 10:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yep, this would be a good application for a VM. But it would be a lot less trouble (especially for people already using a Windows machine) if Broskie would bring his software up to date. In one of his blogs a while back he mentioned a computer crash that made him buy a new PC so I was hopeful that this would be the motivation to update his software, but not so. I even emailed him again at that time to let him know this issue was keeping me from buying his stuff, but no response again.

I'm guessing that there is so little money in this that it's just not worth his time to do a re-write.

Hide this!Advertise here!