• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke ratings and resistor values in choke input supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the wiring diagram for the Triad, it appears the two 6.3V winding are completely separate. So, they may be on separate sections of the bobbin? If so, should I put one 6CJ3 on one winding and the other on the other winding, and tie the cathodes to one side of the windings. The side with the dot so the windings are going the same, "direction".

If they are on separate sections of the bobbin, this would help eliminate arcing? Maybe?

Thanks,

Blair

Here is an image. I have it wired like the bottom of this image. I think I need to wire it like the doctored photo though. Am I correct?

3435F9F6-32BD-4D89-8C91-39DD42D4BA5C-9212-0000071366923891_zpse148afbc.jpg

Thank you!

Blair

I rewired this to resembles original
Schematic this morning. I used my variac to power it up and have a fuse. I have no caps in the supply, so all voltages taken are at the output of the first choke.

With peak hold on, I get a high voltage spike of 806V on a cold start which settles to 593V unloaded.

I strapped 235K across it (its what was close in my toy box) to load it a little. I got, with the peak hold on, 794V spike and it settles to 519V.

I added the first cap stage and I get 720V. I know the 235K load is not that hefty at all, but will the 130-150mA idle current being it down ~200V to a suitable B+ for the 6550?

Thank you!

BTW, the 6CJ3 is a pretty tube when lit:) I like the hefty spiral filament.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you're still going for it. Now is when it's nice to have a couple or more variable power resistors (the kind with the sliding clamp) and you can see what your regulation is like for the range of current you want to draw. A couple 25 watt, 20k or so would be handy in series/parallel and not too expensive or hard to find. -Fred

Thanks,

The thing holding me up right now is how I want to mount the caps. Since there are very few resistors in the PS, I'm debating simple cable tie type clamps.

That and what color I want to dye the faceplates:)

I think blue. It will **** the wife off because it won't match our furniture.

I made transformer testers: bridge input, voltage doubler, and center tap, using 3k x 2, 200 watt wire wound pots. Can hook up chokes, adjust the voltage using different size caps.
I least i know exactly what voltage I can expect.
Got the big pots from China.
Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.