Choke ratings and resistor values in choke input supply? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2013, 04:53 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

What about tube rectification? I'm not a fan, but that should slow the spikes, etc.

This is for a PP 6550 amp. Would a GZ34 or 5AR4 be a better choice?
Old 5th September 2013, 05:29 PM   #12
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

GZ34 and 5AR4 are equivalent.

Did you mean 5R4? They look like a good candidate.

Last edited by TheGimp; 5th September 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 5th September 2013, 05:42 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi, yes. 5R4 Sorry.

I was thinking about two in parallel.
Old 5th September 2013, 05:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Pretty tall order for a tube rectifier. I'm getting by with a 5U4GB at 500 volts and I'm sure it's just sqeeking by. All the charts really narrow down with higher current draw and voltage with choke input. The only thing i like about the tube rectification with it is that the rectifier being on the edge will blow probably sooner than ss diodes that might keep delivering should something go wrong. Like an expensive fuse. The higher the voltage the scarrier it gets. 500 volts is my limit.

I don't know how it would behave with a push pull. All I can say is try it and see. What i can say for sure is you'll see less voltage drop the more class a push pull you run.
Old 5th September 2013, 06:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

You are probably right to stick with SS rectification.

Someone has also suggested a fly back diode as well as snubber caps across the first inductor to help with peaks.

I think this is the layout I'm going with. I will cut the plates today so I am committed or, this could go on forever.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th September 2013, 07:37 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'd say definitely breadboard it before committing any materials. From what I've seen on the supplies I've made is that it prob won't give the regulation you want even with SS rect. I believe the trick for regulation is using a swing choke choke and adjusting many more factors for a range of current draw. No small task.

Sorry. This is occurring to me slowly since I just like playing with and maybe even more talking about choke IF power supplies . Seems to me like a cap input supply with active shunt regulation would serve you better and be less hot, heavy, and scary and prob actually work well.

I've got to scoot. I just had to say something. That's some pretty stuff you have there and it would be awesome if it worked well too. You'd have to get advice from someone other than me for a shunt regulator though. Definitely get a second or third opinion. -Fred
Old 5th September 2013, 07:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Simulate the power supply in LTSpice. Nothing goes Boom! if it is a bad iteration.
Old 5th September 2013, 08:34 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I do not have LTSpice. I have PSD II.
Old 5th September 2013, 08:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Actually, PSUDII probably works better.
Old 5th September 2013, 08:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Never mind. I forgot that the power supply in our PC was taken out by a storm. Ironic

Hide this!Advertise here!