Novar Spud :: A $200 sweep tube Spud with PCB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2013, 06:32 AM   #1
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Novar Spud :: A $200 sweep tube Spud with PCB

I have received several requests for a circuit board for a sweep tube based amplifier. Most of these center around my 6LU8 Spud, but the board for that amplifier would need significant rework to be in shape for professional fabrication. So I decided to take new look at the various options for a sweep tube Spud. The 6LU8 is a nice tube. It’s has a triode and a power pentode in one bottle. In addition to the 12-pin Compactron version, it’s available in a 9-pin Novar version labeled 6LR8. This tube is an excellent candidate for a Spud amp.

Another Novar triode-pentode combo tube is the 6KY8. The 6KY8 and 6LR8 share the same pinout. The 6GF7A is a Novar tube with a small signal triode and a power triode in one bottle. The pinout of this tube is the same as for the 6LR8 and 6KY8 – except for the screen grid pin - which, in the 6GF7A, is simply left floating. Convenient that…

After much research, experimentation, and optimization, I have come up with a design that supports all three tubes. With some creative wiring, one could use a 6LU8 as well. Note, however, that the 6GF7A runs best at a lower B+, so rolling all three tubes through is not an option without changes to the power supply. I ended up using 250 V B+ with the 6GF7A and 300 V with the 6KY8 and 6LR8.
With the 6LR8, I get about 6 W in UL mode and 4 W in triode. The 6GF7A provides about 2 W (sounds really sweet too!).

The total parts budget (including the cost of the PCB) starts at just shy of $200 (not including enclosure and shipping charges).

So without further ado, I bring to you the Novar Spud.

~Tom
Attached Images
File Type: png NovarSpud_AMP_1p0.png (32.4 KB, 1533 views)
File Type: png NovarSpud_PSU_1p0.png (30.4 KB, 1507 views)
File Type: png NovarSpud_PCB_1p0.png (79.6 KB, 1488 views)
File Type: jpg NovarSpud_1p0_ProtoTop.jpg (275.2 KB, 1503 views)
File Type: jpg NovarSpud_1p0_ProtoComponent.jpg (370.6 KB, 1455 views)

Last edited by tomchr; 5th September 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 5th September 2013, 07:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

hello ,

The support of the tube 6LU8 is it the same that that of the EL 84?

If c is the case, very intéréssant.

Old 5th September 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The 6LU8/6LR8 is a triode-pentode Compactron. It looks like the pentode section of the EL84 has about the same max plate dissipation (12 W vs 14 W of the 6LR8) but I think that's where the similarity ends. They use different sockets as well. EL84 is a Noval tube, 6LR8 a Novar tube.

Now, you could probably take a medium mu or hugh mu triode, an EL84, and build a similar circuit.

~Tom
Old 5th September 2013, 08:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If any of you have comments or requests for tweaks, now would be a really good time to speak up. I plan to send the board out for fabrication early next week.

~Tom
Old 6th September 2013, 04:59 AM   #5
12B4A is offline 12B4A  United States
diyAudio Member

3"x5" board? That would make a nice tube amp 'mirror' to the Pass ACA diyAudio kit. It might fit an ACA size chassis w/o the heatsink (Galaxy Maggiorato?)
Old 6th September 2013, 05:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

3.8 x 5.8 inches, actually. Or just shy of 10x15 cm.

~Tom
Old 6th September 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
3"x5" board? That would make a nice tube amp 'mirror' to the Pass ACA diyAudio kit.
It won't fit in 3 X 5. I have a board that is nearly identical to this one. It is 4 X 6. You could physically stuff all the parts on a 3 X 5 board, but it would be cramped and heat buildup would be an issue.

I found a 6LR8 with a crack in the glass running up the entire side of the tube. I did my best to blow it up. Didn't happen. That little amp still plays even with the cracked tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCboard.jpg (318.2 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg Cracked.jpg (169.0 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg 500volts_signal.jpg (351.8 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg 500volts_no_signal.jpg (293.7 KB, 309 views)
Old 6th September 2013, 05:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
EL84 is a Noval tube, 6LR8 a Novar tube.
Novar sockets are rather known as magnoval (large noval) in europe.
Tubes like EL504, EL519, EY500, and many others use this kind of support.
Old 6th September 2013, 05:53 PM   #9
holland is offline holland  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
If any of you have comments or requests for tweaks, now would be a really good time to speak up. I plan to send the board out for fabrication early next week.

~Tom
Bigger PSU filter caps, snap in? No reason other than I have a few 470uF 400V snap in caps lying around, that I should probably use before they dry up.

It's not really a convincing argument, but worth a shot.
Old 6th September 2013, 06:00 PM   #10
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Tom,

If the power resistors were mounted on the same side as the tubes, they could take advantage of close proximity to the metal plate/housing the PWB was mounted to in order to dissipate heat better. This might help with thermal management.

Hide this!Advertise here!