Novar Spud :: A $200 sweep tube Spud with PCB - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2013, 07:00 PM   #31
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

The boards were ordered this morning. They should be available late next week (9/27ish).
My website is open for orders...

~Tom
Old 17th September 2013, 03:23 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Interesting project, could this be switchable between triode and ultra linear mode?

Larry
Old 17th September 2013, 05:15 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Yep. That's the idea. By moving a wire jumper, you can select between UL and Triode mode.

I suppose, you could also hook up a DC supply to the terminal block (in UL mode) and get true Pentode operation if desired.

~Tom
Old 21st September 2013, 07:42 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

According to FedEx, the boards will be on my doorstep by Wednesday (9/25).

If you want to get in on the first batch of boards, please preorder through my website.

~Tom
Old 21st September 2013, 08:43 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Commercial??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
please preorder through my website.

~Tom
Tom, no hard feelings, but doesn't this belong to commercial section?
Old 21st September 2013, 09:01 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I publish the schematics for all my circuits and nothing prevents you from building your own without using my boards. The PCBs just make it a lot easier.

My mode of operation is to build circuits that are useful to me and offer excess PCBs up for sale. It's a self-sustaining hobby more than a business. I'm sorry if I step on your toes by offering my boards up for sale. That's not my intent.

~Tom
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:18 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Nothing wrong with what you're doing and nothing at all to do with my toes, it's just that the hobby part belongs here and the sales part doesn't.
Quite recently there was a fellow who wasn't even offering anything for sale and yet his threads were promptly exiled from tubes forum to commercial section (to be 'reinstated' later once 'proven innocent') just because his pictures were of the quality found in commercial catalogs.
Old 22nd September 2013, 06:59 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I must say that I really enjoy the sound of the triode strapped 6LR8. It's not quite up there with the 300B, obviously, but neither is the build cost.

I've attached the measurements of amplitude response and THD vs power, frequency for the 6LR8 in triode mode. It's curious that the THD increases a bit at the higher frequencies. This may be an effect of the Schade feedback as I haven't seen it for other feedback types. The higher THD at the low frequencies is due to the output transformer. No surprises here. The Edcor CXSE series is rated for operation down to 50 Hz. I measure to 20 Hz.

~Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 22nd September 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 22nd September 2013, 07:12 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
I publish the schematics for all my circuits and nothing prevents you from building your own without using my boards. The PCBs just make it a lot easier.

My mode of operation is to build circuits that are useful to me and offer excess PCBs up for sale. It's a self-sustaining hobby more than a business. I'm sorry if I step on your toes by offering my boards up for sale. That's not my intent.

~Tom
I did the same thing with SY's "Impasse" and "His Majesty's Noise", Dick Marsh's headphone amp -- thus the boards I use were free for me, and I made a couple score of people happy by charging cost+shipping and fees.
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:31 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default I'm in

Hi Tom. This looks like an inexpensive, fun project. I'm in, sent the funds to you via paypal earlier today. Shipping to Australia can take some time, so I'm wondering if there's any chance you can send me a copy of the BOM? It'd be nice to get the digikey order under way.
I'll probably go with the James and Antek transformers as per your recommendation. One question: do the James OPT have UL taps? I don't see it mentioned in the specs.
Thankyou for making this project avaliable to less experienced DIY'ers such as myself.
Best regards, Peter.

Hide this!Advertise here!