Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Novar Spud :: A 0 sweep tube Spud with PCB
Novar Spud :: A 0 sweep tube Spud with PCB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2017, 02:29 AM   #131
pelayostyle is offline pelayostyle  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
Any place to get the Novar tube sockets lately? I got some made in China ones called 9 pin Compactron, and they only fit Magnoval. They just fall off the Novar tube. I was going to order some Novar TV Sweeps, but not if there aren't any sockets around.
I bought (4) of the 9 pin Compactron Novar tube sockets from ESRC. They fit perfectly fine. Since I bought 4 I have 2 extra. Just pay for shipping and Ill send you the other 2. Shoot me a PM.
Old 31st August 2017, 03:34 AM   #132
wcakey is online now wcakey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
That's where I got these. They don't fit at all.
That's odd, I just bought a couple of sets from ESRC a couple of weeks ago and they fit perfectly. Are you certain you ordered the right thing?
Old 31st August 2017, 07:46 AM   #133
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Maybe it was the vendor's mistake, as he might have mixed up Nover with Magnoval sockets?

It's crucial that both bases exactly share the same pin circle diameter and the angle between two pins, whereas the Novar pins are thinner, compared to those Magnoval's.

Best regards!
Old 31st August 2017, 04:56 PM   #134
smoking-amp is offline smoking-amp  United States
diyAudio Member

Woops, sockets were ordered from "The Tube Center" (off Ebay), which has the same address as ESRC at 6424 Pinecastle Blvd. Orlando. I assume they are the same.

I think it is some kind of vendor mistake, so I'll call them. The packed invoice has the completely wrong part number on it, SK-9, which is a standard 9 pin noval socket on their site. But what came is a 9 pin Magnoval socket. And what I ordered (off Ebay) said:

"9 Pin Compactron SOCKET
Fits 6JB6, 6JG6, 6JE6, 6KG6, 6KV6, 437A, etc."

To confuse matters, 6JB6, 6JG6, 6JE6 and 6KV6 are Novar. But 6KG6 is Magnoval.

However, the ESRC SK-9C 9 pin Compactron tube socket on their site has a picture with obviously too big of pin holes in it: (1st pic attached) And I don't see any Magnoval socket even listed there. Received socket is 2nd pic. Notice the large socket pin holes. Some Chinese sockets state that they fit both sizes, but these sockets just fall off Novar tubes.

Somewhere, the truth must be out there....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-pin-ceramic-compactron-Tube-Socket---chassis-mount.jpg (8.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Mystery_socket.jpg (11.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by smoking-amp; 31st August 2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 31st August 2017, 10:21 PM   #135
smoking-amp is offline smoking-amp  United States
diyAudio Member

Update:
They are sending out some replacement sockets that are tested to fit the 40 mil pins of Novar tubes. And I'm sending the others back. Pretty sure these are more Chinese ceramic sockets though, look identical.

Someone else (on diyA) recently complained about the difficulty of finding reliable Novar sockets anywhere, especially the Chinese ones that didn't fit worth $.02.

Seems the Chinese sockets that claim to fit either Novar or Magnoval don't really fit either. Breaking the bases of Magnovals and becoming loose on Novars after a number of insertions.

I don't see why the standard 40 mil diameter 9 pin Noval socket pins cannot be supplied in the 9 pin Compactron sockets. Do we have to make our own by pulling them out of 9 pin Noval sockets?

Last edited by smoking-amp; 31st August 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 31st August 2017, 10:39 PM   #136
Shef is offline Shef  Canada
diyAudio Member

Keep us updated on what you received. The right photo clearly shows Magnoval. Very same as:
2PCS 9pin B9D MAGNOVAL Ceramic Tube Sockets for EL504 EL509 EL502 Chassis Mount | eBay
I have on hands both like this one and a Compactron, and it seems the opening for the Magnoval's terminal is a bit bigger. The terminals look very alike, the Compactron's ones just seem having smaller opening gap.
I ordered mine from this evilBay seller:
1PC B9D Magnoval 9pin Ceramic Tube socket for EL504 EL509 Bottom Chassis Mount | eBay
Though being Magnoval these worked quite well, not dead tight but enough to hold the tube.
Another solution is to buy the Magnoval and Compactron sockets but swap the terminals.
Also, look at this one, the openings look smallish, I bet these will work perfect (expensive - made of teflon):
High end Teflon Magnoval 9 pin Electron Tube socket WE34 WE429 8233 6S45P WE418A | eBay

Novar Spud :: A 0 sweep tube Spud with PCBHide this!Advertise here!