• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Concertina type Phase inverters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've looked over a bunch of schematics, and I have always liked the simplicity of the concertina PI. I am thinking about the 6GF7A as a candidate. It has a gain section similar to the 12AT7. I would like to breadboard the front end before commiting to it.

So, how do you load it for testing? Use a static resistor of around 100K across the output like you would load test the line kevel output of a preamp?

Thank you!

You want to use it to drive a push pull output stage. Its load looks like a capacitor (Cg) in parallel with the grid bias resistor. So there's your test load. Actually two. Take in account the maximum resistance your output tubes will allow. And of course add your coupling capacitor.

Hi Miles,

I was going to build a breadboard to see if I can get enough voltage swing to drive a PP 6550.

I also want to see what the square waves look like at various frequencies. The 6GF7A may not be a nice driver at the end if the day. I would rather know that try it in a final amp project and get stuck.

If you want to use a "concertina" phase splitter with KT88s or 6L6s, use a MOSFET. FETs can swing closer to the B+ rail than triodes can. Also, the practical transconductance of many power MOSFETs is in the 10s of mA./V. That's good insurance against slew limiting due to a loop NFB induced HF error correction signal, along with great ease in driving control grid circuitry capacitance.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I like the idea of 6SN7

(if high voltage I guess ecc99 would not be a good choice)

would it make sense to look for a single triode instead of a twin tube ?
thought of maybe the 2A3, but seems a bit expencive for this

how about a tube like the (VT?)56 power triode

I like the idea of 6SN7

(if high voltage I guess ecc99 would not be a good choice)

would it make sense to look for a single triode instead of a twin tube ?
thought of maybe the 2A3, but seems a bit expencive for this

how about a tube like the (VT?)56 power triode

When dealing with the 'SN7 and it's electrical equivalents, it's important to distinguish between the increased ratings that apply to the pulse circuitry found in TVs and the lower ratings that apply to analog audio service. IMO, it's best to look at an older data sheet. Notice the 300 V. anode voltage limit. OTOH, the ECC99 has a 400 V. anode limit.

If a HIGH B+ rail voltage is in the picture, consider the IRFBG20 power MOSFET as the "concertina" phase splitter device. The breakdown limit is 1 KV. :D You get plenty of transconductance too. The crucial reverse transfer capacitance (Crss) is 17 pF. So, don't try driving an IRFBG20 with a wimpy 'X7 section.

What is the answer and why is it that way? :)

With a regular gain stage, increasing the gm also increases the voltage gain. So although you get more output current per input volt, you also get more output volts per input volt, so the slew the slew rate is unchanged.

But it is worth mentioning that this assumes you are not changing anything else. In practice, triodes with higher gm tend to have lower ra, so you actually get more gm and lower voltage gain, and therefore higher slew rate than for most low-gm triodes.

I have done a reverse engineer of a vintage amplifier with such a phase splitter in it. It is a bit of a crude diagram I am afraid.
The output valves are EL37 and the splitter is ECC33 with the other half as a voltage amplifier.

Attachments

• DSCF7219.JPG
    DSCF7219.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 308
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.