• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mighty Midget Problem (One channel is louder)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built the mighty midget amplifier. I have two problems:

1- First both channels did not work. I realized that the binding posts were shorted to the ground, hence no sound. I fixed that issue and now both channels work. But one channel is louder than the other. I tried swapping the tubes with no luck. So it must be either a cap or a resistor. Is there a way to track it without a scope, only with a multimeter.

2-The other problem is that my edcor transformers are designed for 220v but I run the amp at 110V, and I can get clean sound from both channels, although one channel is louder. I got transformers for 220v because I will be moving to europe soon. Anyways, when I connect my amplifier to a 1000W rated transformer (240V output) the fuses blow. Is it possible edcor made a mistake and sent me 110V transformers, and how can I check my power transformer. Regards,

Emre

Just a quick update. I measured the secondary voltage for my power transformer and found out that edcor actually sent me the wrong transformer (the 110V to 250V instead of the 240V to 250V one). So if you live in North America and order an European mains power transformer (if not a dual secondary) call them to make sure they get the order right. So problem 2 is solved.

But I still have the uneven channel output. I found that today one of the leds is shorted. Could that be reason of the problem? I wont be able to replace it till tuesday. So any suggestion is appreciated.

Emre

D8 is a rectifier diode not an LED, do you mean D3 ?
If one of the LEDs is shorted then it needs replacing. This will alter the the operating point of the input pentode which will alter the current passed and the gain of the stage. Fix it and report back.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.