• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building a Baby Huey EL84 amp - might need some pointers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm planning a build of a Baby Huey EL84 amp, but have gotten stuck on a few things. I didn't want to clutter up the main thread with silly questions, so I decided to make my own. I hope that's okay.

Diyaudio Wiki link for the Baby Huey

1. My output transformers cannot do ultra-linear (three wired, no air gap, etc), so I will have to go with pentode mode instead. I'm not 100% positive on the wiring for this, but I have a guess. Picture right here. Am I thinking right?

2. Since the amp appears to be designed for ultra-linear operation, will I run into any sort of complications when switching over to pentode? Do I need to modify the global feedback or other things?

3. Resistor-wise... will I be fine using typical standard 0.6W metal film resistors (1%, rated for 350VDC)? Like these. Is that fine? I will of course also be using those 1 and 2 watt resistors as marked on the schematic.

4. The 5 volt supply... I don't have that. My transformer only has 240V and 6.3V secondaries. Can I use the 6.3V secondary (a parallel connection to the heater circuit, or something) instead? This is the real deal breaker for me, that's currently stopping the entire project. I'd really like some input on this. The subject is mentioned in the wiki link, but I don't really understand the explanation given there.

Thanks a lot for your time. :) By the way, I will make sure to post my build progress in this thread, for those curious.

UL Taps are not essential but you will probably require some small amount of global feedback without them.

Yves doesn't like Ultralinear and it was'nt used in his orginal design (as linked above).

John (jkeny) converted a Rogers Cadet III to the Baby Huey Scheme, it did not have UL taps either. He thought it a considerable improvement.

Cheers,
Ian

Fleap,
Yes - the balanced shunt feedback from the EL84 anodes effectively reduces the internal rp of the output tubes. That means that the tubes then better drive the primary inductance of teh output tranny to improve bass response and better drives the leakage inductance and shunt capacitance of teh output tranny to improve the high frequency response. This circuit screws the best out of the output transformers an shifts the critical phase shifts further out making the amp more stable when global feedback is applied.

Characteristics are good stereo imaging and good PRATT (Pace Rhythm and Attack).

I have a few older vintage amps which I will be modifying to this scheme. Once I clear the decks of a couple of new builds.

One of the ECL86 Amps I rectified the 6V3 heater and tied the +ve side of the rectifed output to 0V to give about -7'ish Volts for the for the bottom of the diffamp "tail" CCS. This offset the heater supply by that -7V but did not seem to have any adverse affects. Just be a bit more careful than usual to twist the heater wires and run them well away from the audio circuitry.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Thanks Ian and everyone else for the replies.

So it's as easy as connecting the 150 ohm grid stoppers to the center tap of the output transformer?

I have a couple pairs of output transformers. One has 16/8/4 ohm secondaries. The other has 8/4 ohm only. Which tap would I use for the global feedback?

Thanks!

fleap

The BH scheme trades output tube gm for reduced rp so it works best with higher gm tubes like:
6GW8, 6BQ5, EL34, KT77, KT88 etc.

I modified a PP EL34 Music Angel to this scheme.

Having said that I have also made several lovely versions with 6V6 which is a MUCH lower gm tube.

The "standard" EL84/6BQ5 can be driven to full power from the normal 2V'ish CD player output.

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.