ECL82/6BM8 as rectifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2003, 09:31 PM   #1
svokke is offline svokke  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default ECL82/6BM8 as rectifier?

In this article at TNT-audio the author writes that in his preamp (Korato KVP-20) the ECL82 tube is used as rectifier. Checked it here at korato.com and it just says that it is used in the power supply.
What's going on here. Why is there a triode/pentode sitting in the powersupply. Is it used as some kind of regulator?
Old 12th December 2003, 10:45 PM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I didn't see the word "rectifier" mentioned, just "power supply".
In fact the ECL82, and similar triode - pentodes make good power regulators, and I think this may be one applied case. The triode section as an error amp, and the pentode section as the series pass element.
It does seem a bit of a shame to use one that's good for audio in a PSU, when there are others Eg ECL80, ECL85/805 that are just as suitable for regulators, but not so good for audio.

BTW You can use any triode or pentode as a rectifier, just watch out for grid power dissapation. It has been suggested (on this forum I think) that a controlled rectifier could be built this way.
Old 12th December 2003, 10:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Most likely it's part of a series regulator, and as they don't mention a specific rectifier tube, I'll bet it uses SS rectification.

I suppose it could be used as a rectifier, but with millions of decent NOS rectifiers, plus the apparently increasing quality of the Russian and Chinese made units, why would you?
Old 13th December 2003, 12:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
In fact the ECL82, and similar triode - pentodes make good power regulators, and I think this may be one applied case.
Yes, and from a manufacturers' POV they picked a triode/penthode that's still manufactured up to this day.
The ECL80, ECL85/805 aren't as far as I know.

I very much doubt they'd use it as a diode.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!