• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECL82/6BM8 as rectifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't see the word "rectifier" mentioned, just "power supply".
In fact the ECL82, and similar triode - pentodes make good power regulators, and I think this may be one applied case. The triode section as an error amp, and the pentode section as the series pass element.
It does seem a bit of a shame to use one that's good for audio in a PSU, when there are others Eg ECL80, ECL85/805 that are just as suitable for regulators, but not so good for audio.

BTW You can use any triode or pentode as a rectifier, just watch out for grid power dissapation. It has been suggested (on this forum I think) that a controlled rectifier could be built this way.

Most likely it's part of a series regulator, and as they don't mention a specific rectifier tube, I'll bet it uses SS rectification.

I suppose it could be used as a rectifier, but with millions of decent NOS rectifiers, plus the apparently increasing quality of the Russian and Chinese made units, why would you?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

In fact the ECL82, and similar triode - pentodes make good power regulators, and I think this may be one applied case.

Yes, and from a manufacturers' POV they picked a triode/penthode that's still manufactured up to this day.
The ECL80, ECL85/805 aren't as far as I know.

I very much doubt they'd use it as a diode.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.