• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Replacement for 5R4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I like to try some different rectifier tubes, just to experience the differences.

Now I'm using 1x Raytheon JAN5R4WGB (530-0-530 @ 120mA) and 1x RSD 5Y3GT (210-0-210 @ 20mA) per channel. Can you recommend other types or brands to experiment with?

Ralph

Lynn Olson uses 6CJ3's and this guy has lacks no money to spend in audio.
I would also try a little outside-the-box thinking and look at a hybrid rectifier which makes for a much more transformer-friendly duty cycle, an aspect that is too often forgotten by tube builders.

Konnichiwa,

Ralph said:
Hi all, I like to try some different rectifier tubes, just to experience the differences.

I like 5R4 (RCA Brown base ST Envelope) & WE274A/B best among all rectifiers I tried, including Mullard GZ34 (fine), Mullard GZ32 (beware of Voltage/Current Ratings - very good), Mullard GZ37 (so-so), various 5U4 and related....

Sayonara

Now I'm using 1x Raytheon JAN5R4WGB (530-0-530 @ 120mA) and 1x RSD 5Y3GT (210-0-210 @ 20mA) per channel. Can you recommend other types or brands to experiment with?

If you are using a choke input, the 5U4G, 5Z3G, and 5X4G are all good. For pure value, the 5X4G is excellant - WWII era RCA 5X4G's are identical to the highly vaunted VT-244 but for pin-out and can easily be had for $2-$3.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.