Sonic Frontiers Line 2 - no line level output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2013, 02:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Sonic Frontiers Line 2 - no line level output

Hello all, I'm new to this group. I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 which I got a few years back, only 1 1/2 years old. The updated tubes burned out, so I put in the original Sonic ones which also burned out after a year. I was using the pre-amp as the main preamp for my stereo and by-pass mode for the surround, feeding my Mirage M-2's with mono/xlr from the Line 2 to OCM 200's. Well the tubes seem to burn out too quickly as the EPL loop is only able to run straight through when the Line 2 is on and after watching lots of movies ... well the tubes burn and I took it out of the configuration.

Back in again a year later and the right two rear tubes would not light up. Swapped L/R and same sockets would not light up. Put it away again.

Now I want to get it working. All the tubes now light up however:
1. no line level output from any unbalanced input (I don't have a balanced source)
2. no headphone output
3. After selecting unbalanced inputs, the display has crazy numbers for three of the unbalanced sources they each display 50 50; 75 75 and some other number and 0 0 for the forth one, so If I were to get output it would be real loud after
selecting the input.

Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot these ? Also is there a way to invert the EPL loop action, so that it is on straight-through with the Line 2 turned OFF (which is the way it should be).

Thanks for any help/advice.
Cheers
Nicholas
(Burlington, Ontario, Canada)
Old 13th August 2013, 12:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Contact the folks at PartsConnexion. They are the survivors of S.F.
Old 13th August 2013, 03:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi...Good luck with Parts Connexion IMO....they were anything but helpful with my SFC-1 questions....product support is non-existent as are schematics....I know that some products in the Anthem line were based on earlier SF platforms....and schematics for these seem to exist.

But try Eli's suggestion first...nothing to lose...and failing that there are a few hands here at DiyAudio that might be able to steer you through specific diagnosis tests to help narrow down your SF's affliction.
Old 15th August 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
max426 is offline max426  United States
diyAudio Member

Nicholas,
I had the same issue with my line 2 about 6 months ago.
Try plugging and unplugging headphones repeatedly, this is what Chris Johnson from partsconnexion recommend.
It did not work for me, maybe you will have better luck.
I have the service manual and schematic if you want it.

I sent mine to partsconnexion for repair. They were very helpful and I had it back in less than two weeks including shipping time.

Jim
Old 15th August 2013, 06:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Jim, thanks for that. I have it in PCX now for repair. Chris and Mike have both been very committed and informative and will warranty all work for 1 yr. They also have a fix for the erratic display settings. They have just finished replacing my Anthem Pre 1's original power transformer (internal short) with a new torroidal one. Fast turn-around when you live in the same city ! I would highly recommend them for service.

Hide this!Advertise here!