• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sonic Frontiers Line 2 - no line level output

Hello all, I'm new to this group. I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 which I got a few years back, only 1 1/2 years old. The updated tubes burned out, so I put in the original Sonic ones which also burned out after a year. I was using the pre-amp as the main preamp for my stereo and by-pass mode for the surround, feeding my Mirage M-2's with mono/xlr from the Line 2 to OCM 200's. Well the tubes seem to burn out too quickly as the EPL loop is only able to run straight through when the Line 2 is on and after watching lots of movies ... well the tubes burn and I took it out of the configuration.

Back in again a year later and the right two rear tubes would not light up. Swapped L/R and same sockets would not light up. Put it away again.

Now I want to get it working. All the tubes now light up however:
1. no line level output from any unbalanced input (I don't have a balanced source)
2. no headphone output
3. After selecting unbalanced inputs, the display has crazy numbers for three of the unbalanced sources they each display 50 50; 75 75 and some other number and 0 0 for the forth one, so If I were to get output it would be real loud after
selecting the input.

Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot these ? Also is there a way to invert the EPL loop action, so that it is on straight-through with the Line 2 turned OFF (which is the way it should be).

Thanks for any help/advice.
Cheers
Nicholas
(Burlington, Ontario, Canada)

Hi...Good luck with Parts Connexion IMO....they were anything but helpful with my SFC-1 questions:mad:....product support is non-existent as are schematics....I know that some products in the Anthem line were based on earlier SF platforms....and schematics for these seem to exist.

But try Eli's suggestion first...nothing to lose...and failing that there are a few hands here at DiyAudio that might be able to steer you through specific diagnosis tests to help narrow down your SF's affliction.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Nicholas,
I had the same issue with my line 2 about 6 months ago.
Try plugging and unplugging headphones repeatedly, this is what Chris Johnson from partsconnexion recommend.
It did not work for me, maybe you will have better luck.
I have the service manual and schematic if you want it.

I sent mine to partsconnexion for repair. They were very helpful and I had it back in less than two weeks including shipping time.

Jim

Jim, thanks for that. I have it in PCX now for repair. Chris and Mike have both been very committed and informative and will warranty all work for 1 yr. They also have a fix for the erratic display settings. They have just finished replacing my Anthem Pre 1's original power transformer (internal short) with a new torroidal one. Fast turn-around when you live in the same city ! I would highly recommend them for service.

Sonic Frontiers Line1preamp shematics

Hello everybody
First, I hope you are all in good shape despite the COVID-Plague.
I own a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 Preamp and I like it. I spent hours searching for its schematics on the web but did not find anything. From an old post, i.e. 2013, I learned that there are some happy owners of SF Line 1 or Line 2 schematics. For example, in a 2013 post Max426 proposed to share a copy of the SF Line 2 schematics. If feasible, I would be delighted and grateful to receive a copy of this Line 1 or Line 2 schematics.
Thank you for reading this post.
Take care!
Regards
Bernard