• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

BALANCED AUDIO VK 5 VK20

I had to repair a total of about 10 units from that company . 8 of them i did on my own 2 of them had weird troubles so i asked the help of the company in schematics and fault finding .

You will not believe how nice and friendly people picked up the phone on the other side willing to help from any aspect even willing to talk about the problem over the phone and often in cases where the model was quite old to remember by hart .

Nice people , very helpful and if i am allowed to say the Balanced Audio is the definition of what we say a service minded company .

Thank you all and my special thanks to Mr Victor Khomenko who looked in my case personally.

Kind regards
sakis

In the things i fixed on my own you have to include capacitors , tubes that failed after thousand of hours of use , transformers blown but obviously been operating in higher voltage than specified , blown rectifier , faulty encoder etch etch ....

Some units that have been "upgraded" or "repaired " by certified loonies applying on the unit 1000 snake oil capacitors with catastrophic results while my job was to restore the unit to an original condition .

In the latest unit i had excessive offset in the output static noise like 50hz or similar that wasn't related to power supply and some misbehavior in the gain circuit .

Kind regards
Sakis

My Bat VK-5 (not 5i) capacitor is leaking. I opened the black box containing the capacitors and found two 0.22 microfarad capacitors on each side. But when I look at the diagram above the capacitor size is 1 microfarad, so I want to ask what the correct capacitance should be. What brand of capacitors are you using instead of Jensen? And I would like a service manual to adjust the values according to the criteria. Can someone help send it to me?

Hi!
The correct value of these capacitors is 1uF oil but in upgrade the manufacturer used up to 2 x 1uF oil in parallel for better bass results. I replaced it with Axial Auricap 2.2uF x 400V polypropylene capacitors. You can use Solen axial or other good quality ones. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi!
The correct value of these capacitors is 1uF oil but in upgrade the manufacturer used up to 2 x 1uF oil in parallel for better bass results. I replaced it with Axial Auricap 2.2uF x 400V polypropylene capacitors. You can use Solen axial or other good quality ones. Good luck.
Thank you for information. The value of the vk-5 model is the same as the vk-5i, right?