• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EZ80 Choke Input Max Capacitance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The EZ80 spec mentions 50uF for a capacitance input configuration....But...what would the max (first) cap value be for a choke-input configuration be?
The choke is limiting the current so the EZ80 should be safe for over current when a larger capacitance is used after the choke...right?

The EZ80 spec mentions 50uF for a capacitance input configuration....But...what would the max (first) cap value be for a choke-input configuration be?
The choke is limiting the current so the EZ80 should be safe for over current when a larger capacitance is used after the choke...right?

It depends on the choke value. If it is too small, then the rectifier can still be pushed outside its comfort zone by too much capacitance.

Be careful with the heater/cathode voltage. I had some tube failures including voltage about one half the maximum published in data sheets resulting in tube catastrophic destruction. So I suggest to use an independent 6.3V winding in the transformer, and wire one end to the cathode, so always that difference is only 3.15V. Also this is applicable to the 6X4.

Fluorescent lamp choke is not designed to handle DC...

Yes, they have air gap. I used them as reactor to modulate a 6DQ6 transmitter with another using a 40W fluorescent ballast without audio problems. Perhaps the iron is not the best to handle audio signals, but it did the job very well.

In fact, as the cathodes of any fluorescent lamp never are equal, always there is a DC imbalance flowing through ballast and line.

Fluorescent lamp choke is not designed to handle DC...

I've tested 5 ballasts so far, and used one of them. I haven't been able to get hold of lower wattage ballasts - which should be even better for many valve amps. The inductance is not up there for perhaps hifi applications, but great for guitar etc. Also not too aesthetic unless hidden under the chassis, or behind a PT. The voltage rating is typically fine if the ballast is rated for 240VAC usage.

ATCO EC40: 1.2H @ 104mAdc: 1.1H @ 300mAdc; 0.96H @ 500mAdc; DCR=40.
ATCO EC18/20: 1.88H @ 147mAdc: 1.69H @ 260mAdc: 1.45H @ 420mAdc; 1.26H @ 517mAdc; DCR=54.
VS LN 18.162: 1.66H @ 165mAdc: 1.57H @ 288mAdc: 1.22H @ 458mAdc; 0.49H @ 740mAdc; DCR=47.
VS LN 18/20.129: 1.69H @ 145mAdc: 1.61H @ 254mAdc: 1.42H @ 407mAdc; 1.2H @ 509mAdc; DCR=47.
VS LN 36.505: 1.08H @ 295mAdc: 0.73H @ 517mAdc; 0.3H @ 825mAdc; DCR=21.

Ciao, Tim

The Lundahl LL1685 data sheet indicates it saturates at 230mApk in series, but does provide 10H of effective inductance. It could be used in choke input mode if it doesn't exceed that pk level. It may provide common mode attenuation when applied in some configurations, but I can't see how any 'common mode' characteristic is going to make an iota of difference in a choke input configuration - but that is just quick thought.

Yes, choke input requires inductance action on the loop current, which a common-mode choke is specifically designed not to do! A 'choke input PSU' using a CM mode choke is actually a cap input PSU with some CM noise isolation.

I don't get it why the current would mind if a 20H coil is split up and put in both legs of the circuit....the rectifier will see less capacitance if it is placed behind the inductor....also in this case....No?

I believe that a 20Hy to a common mode choke is very unusual. The more I saw was in the order of millihenries, almost in switching power supplies.

Common mode aren't designed to support DC in its core, nor low frequency ripple trough it. They are like a bifilar winding in which currents in both conductors are canceled, so no net low frequency or DC is not present in the core.

Arno Pf said:
I don't get it why the current would mind if a 20H coil is split up and put in both legs of the circuit....the rectifier will see less capacitance if it is placed behind the inductor....also in this case....No?
A common-mode choke couples two inductors together, it is not two separate inductors. Two separate inductors in both legs of the circuit would work fine.

A CM choke does not notice the balanced current circulating around the charging loop as that current balances out in the two windings of the choke. Hence it does not function as a choke for the purposes of the PSU. All it does is remove any CM noise from the input.

There is a modern fashion for using CM chokes where they are useless or even, as here, potentially damaging to the circuit components. A choke input PSU needs a choke; just a choke, not a CM choke or a differential mode choke or any other special choke - just an ordinary common-or-garden choke. You can split the choke in two if you want, provided the two chokes can't magnetically see each other.

The Lundahl choke seems to put two windings on the same core. It isn't specified as a common-mode choke, but does show an example where it may provide some common-mode attenuation - I think the 'common-mode choke' moniker given to that choke is just Arno's description, not Lundahls - it is not a common-mode choke in the normal sense of the description (as df96 has assumed).

Perhaps it is a two winding "differential" style choke, where the leakage inductance provides some low level of common-mode inductance (sort of the opposite of a common-mode choke that provides some low level of differential inductance).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.