• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve amp questions for someone new to them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all just looking for some advice please. I have always been interested in valve amps and just never took the plunge to buy one.

However today at work one turned up and I couldn't say no at the price for buying it untested.

Having never owned one before and with this being untested I just need some reassurance before I hook it up to my speakers.

From what I have seen, one of the speaker bindings was damaged, but have repaired this now. Powered on the amp and it looks like it is all getting power, I just wonder if there is anything else I should check before hooking it up?

Attachments

• DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 252
When the amp is powered up, it's always a good idea to have speakers "hooked up", as the output transformers like to have a load attached to them.

That's a cute little amp. Do you know what the output tubes are, all the images I've searched for don't include that particular tube? Thanks,

DF96 beat me to it.;)

jeff

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replys, the valves from left to right are 2x nanking 6J8PJ next are 2x FD 422 valves with Chinese symbols and finally a 5Z3P with Chinese symbols.

Want to hook it up to the speakers and test it properly, but I don't want to burn my speakers out without knowing exactly what to look for before I do it.

I'm a valve amp virgin, the closest I have come to valves before was a Musical Fidelity X 10D, and I regret selling it.

Now this has landed in my laps through chance and I don't know what to do lol.

Please point me in the right direction as curiosity is starting to take over.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No run with both, and just shut the power off immediately if there is a problem. :D Bite the bullet, you'll know soon enough. Just make sure absolutely everything is connected correctly first, that's pretty much it.

As an aside what sort of fragile speakers do you have that you are so concerned a small and likely well behaved SE amplifier will destroy during warm up? You've got just a few watts of mischief here at best.

:) I need more power than tubes can give me but i use tubes in my preamp stages so i understand you completely . If your speakers are effecient enough for 8w amp you will never go back to SS . Nice amp you bought , good puchase , i´m looking for something similar for my tweeters but they are expensive even from China because of the high taxes here.

I think this will make you jealous, but I got this fantastic piece of kit for £20 GBP, partly because I blagged it and the person selling it me was unsure.

But I think it is worth all the money it cost new £600 GBP even though its not a Quad or a known make.

Sound is fluid and I am with you, I don't think I will go back to SS for stereo music.

When I bought it, and seen 8WPC I thought it would be so quiet, How wrong was I.

Sorry I am happy and wish I got in to Valves along time ago.

mark31385 said:
Having listened to a few classic songs I know very well, it seems like the left channel is more prominent, could this be a faulty valve?
Wild guess: this is a single-ended triode (SET) amp wth little or no negative feedback. If so, channel gain will depend on the valve samples used. Try swapping valves over and see if the right channel then seems prominent. Be careful if you are not used to handling valves - inserting and removing them from holders is a good way to break them if you do it wrong.

The difference is night and day though, between transistor and valve.
Not always. SET will sound different from transistors because it probably has high output impedance (so speaker bass resonance boost) and possibly higher distortion (so can sound 'warmer'). Some valve amps can sound more similar to transistors. Its not the valves but how they are used.

Thanks DF96, I am too involved in the music now but will try it tomorrow. I will make no excuses I am new to valves. But now I see the magic.

I will continue my aural pleasure tonight, then swap them tomorrow.

I am unsure what this design is, but I am happy to post pictures of the wiring as it may be a copy of another design, and I am curious to learn more :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.