Screen Grid Peak Voltage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2013, 11:39 PM   #1
kingneb is offline kingneb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Screen Grid Peak Voltage

In ultra-linear mode, it seems like many designs I have seen have the potential to exceed the maximum rated screen voltage when a signal is applied, but are fine at idle.

The DC voltage at idle is what the datasheet specs as max. However, most typical applications for ultra-linear circuits in various tube datasheets allow the maximum peak sine wave to go above the screen voltage rating according to my calculations.

Is this OK?
Old 26th July 2013, 05:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That was the main issue with the UL connection according to Stu Hegeman, see this.

Last edited by jazbo8; 26th July 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 26th July 2013, 05:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is it OK that the plate voltage peaks above the maximum rated with a signal? Designs tend to do this too, both pentode and UL.

Also, when using a regulator to regulate screen voltage, what value screen stopper should be used if any?

Last edited by kingneb; 26th July 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:09 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Short-term violations of rating limits can sometimes be tolerated. It depends on what happens: heating, arcing etc. Some bad effects take time to build up, so a few ms may be OK.
Old 27th July 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

I've seen circuits that use a coupling cap from the screen UL transformer tap to the screen grid. And the screen grid also having a resistor going to a screen voltage supply. Thing is, this resistor will look like a load to the output transformer, robbing some power from the output. I've also seen output transformers having a separate UL winding, so you could feed the screen grids directly without the loading of a screen resistor, but that adds expense. And another solution is to use a screen resistor between the UL tap and the screen grid (to drop the voltage for the screen grid), with a bypass cap across the resistor, which looks to be the best answer.
Old 27th July 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

We have established that the screen voltage peaking above maximum ratings is an issue. What does concern me now is plate voltage exceeding the maximum rating with a signal swing.

The maximum B+ rating for a 6550 is 660 volts. The design in the screenshot uses 420 volts B+. It uses KT88 tubes with a maximum plate voltage of 800 volts. At full power, each plate peaks at 720 volts, within the rating. For a 6550, the maximum rating would be exceeded by 60 volts when the signal peaks.

Just about every design I have seen does not take the plate issue into account (Even Carver, as he runs his idle B+ voltages almost at maximum). It appears they only thought about idle DC plate voltage.

Did I just have a major design flaw revelation or were tubes designed to peak above maximum ratings with a signal? For tests I like to run continuous waveforms at full power to guarantee reliability.
Attached Images
File Type: png ht.png (47.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 27th July 2013, 04:46 PM   #7
es345 is offline es345  Germany
diyAudio Member

Please take into account that the maximum ratings for the plate (anode) voltage is defined with idle plate current active. There exists a second maximum rating, unfortunately not documented in most of the datasheets today

Let us take as an example the EL34. In old specifications you will find 2 values

1. Ua max (idle) =800V
2. Ua max(Ia=0) =2000V

Here is the background: In PP basically one of both tubes is active, the plate voltage is going down, in parallel the PP OT the plate voltage of the other one is going up symmetrically but there is no plate current at that tube. So now assume a of a PP pair of EL 34 with an idle voltage of 800V with an PP OT of Raa=11KOhm.This is the typical EL34 class B design example. At full power the plate will swing between ~50V and 1550V.

As said above unfortunately in most of specs of today you will miss the second maximum rating mentioned above. But the tubes are able to handle this high level of plate voltage without plate current - otherwise no PP powerstage would work.
Old 27th July 2013, 05:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
I've seen circuits that use a coupling cap from the screen UL transformer tap to the screen grid. And the screen grid also having a resistor going to a screen voltage supply. Thing is, this resistor will look like a load to the output transformer, robbing some power from the output. I've also seen output transformers having a separate UL winding, so you could feed the screen grids directly without the loading of a screen resistor, but that adds expense. And another solution is to use a screen resistor between the UL tap and the screen grid (to drop the voltage for the screen grid), with a bypass cap across the resistor, which looks to be the best answer.
Thanks for the suggested methods as I have been thinking along similar lines. You think I can replaced the resistor between UL tap and screen grid with a zener diode paralleling with a coupling cap? This way you can keep the screen voltage under control with the zener and having feedback into the screen with the cap?

Similar to the below circuit in this thread.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 27th July 2013, 06:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Why do you need the caps? The zeners alone in spice seem to cut it by themselves. The voltage across the zeners would be at the mercy of the breakdown, which seemingly does not make a rectifier into the screens. Spice seems to be playing tricks here, or my circuit analysis could be also.

Last edited by kingneb; 27th July 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneb View Post
Why do you need the caps? The zeners alone in spice seem to cut it by themselves.
Can a zener pass AC signal?

Hide this!Advertise here!