Life Expectancy of DHT's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Life Expectancy of DHT's

How does the life of DHT's compare with IDHT's.

Anyway, I wired up a simple SE preamp using a 1J5 battery pentode in triode mode...blows the doors off of IDHT tubes I've tried...(including a 7N7 - loctite version of the 6SN7 and 6Y6GT) in terms of clean sound, tighter bass and silent background.

I come across these odd tubes at a local electrical surplus store. I paid $4.50 for the 1J5's and just scored 6Y6GT's for $2.80 ea. So I try them out and play with different types and sound before I go to more expensive tubes.

I'm thinking of other standard tubes such as the 26...but as our entertainment center audio system, I'm not sure if they would last.

As far as IDHT, I'm even thinking of trying some 6L6 in triode for a line level preamp...even though its major overkill. I can get a good deal and easily found locally. So as long as it won't be too much current for the ST-35. I hear good things as far as sound. I prefer the sound of larger tubes...

Hide this!Advertise here!