• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Potting Wax?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have about 20 of these transformers I got a deal on from a surplus center that I have been using for preamps. The issue is that they tend to be on the buzzy side if I do not modify them a bit with something to damp the resonance in the top bell. (Through hole design). I am using maybe 1/15th the current capability, so they tune all day long at just over room temp.

I was using hot glue to fill the top bell and then pressing them together, but: A) hard to measure if I have enough or to small of an amount. B) it does not really seep into the windings the way something more fluid would.

So, I went to the grocery store and bought some paraffin wax. I always make a high density foam gasket when I put the top bells on for additional damping, so they are sealed for the most part. I flipped the transformer over to the bottom and cut away the bottom paper exposing the leads and used a heat gun to melt and drip the wax into the transformer. Voila! Much quieter than hot glue, but at a lower melting point. I'm not worried about the operation heat, but down south here, a garage can get almost as hot as the melting point of the wax.

After my drawn out explanation of what I need it for:) what does Cary use to pot their transformers which run significantly hotter than the ones I use? I found some microcrystalline waxes that melt at a hotter temp, but the Cary wax looks more like a bees wax with something added maybe?

Thanks for any assistance!

Blair

Rosin little (not more than 1/3) may be harder the wax and improve its melting point. If you use rosin, please grasp ratio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.