• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

asr433 simple problem (i hope)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My wife moved my new console and I know have an issue with my left channel on my asr433 stromberg carlson. It had a tick noise that was barely audible that is still there but now the left channel is quieter than the right. Considerably as the left on about 8 is the same as the left on 5. I swapped the tubes from left to right and it didn't change the issue.

Ground issue? I have yet to open it up as I can see the multicap can has been replaced upon a time. Was hoping go recap it ss soon ss I get the caps itemized and ordered. Besides internal ground anyone have some hints to hunt it down?

Thanks
Eric

The neon pilot light is also used to generate a low-frequency "balance" signal. Turn it off. Maybe you need to clean the Balance switch. I don't think ANY of the schematics show this correctly, but I may have a few more to check - refer to the 444 schematic, I think that shows it correctly... if you haven't gotten the schematic and instructions from my web page, it's Made In Rochester

So when I turn the balance switch ON it ticks really loud, when I turn it off it ticks quietly but enough to drive me crazy and the pilot still flickers. Looks like this was recapped by. A restoration place about 10 years ago and so far the caps are measuring okay.

Any ideas on what is going on with the balance switch as I have never had an amp with this and not really sure what its doing here.

Thanks again.

It's supposed to flicker when in the ON position, be steady when OFF, which is what mine do, as I recall... There are several schematics, all different. I only found one schematic that makes sense and it's one from the bottom of a later 433. In the OFF position, the neon should have a 470K resistor to B+. When OFF, it has a 22 meg, which in combination with the 0.1 uF cap will make it oscillate in the low Hz range. It's possible the switch isn't making contact on one section, or it's miswired (somebody followed one of the OTHER schematics...) See attached...

Attachments

• Stromberg ASR-433 schem from bottom cover.jpg
    Stromberg ASR-433 schem from bottom cover.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 124
Thank you so much.
So I opened it up and finally and even though the Can was replaced I shouldn't have assumed that it was completely recapped. I understand now better what that "output balance" is there for - what a strange thing to have as I can't imagine why this was there for the average consumer to turn on and hear that noise and think things were broken.

I suspect that something is going on with that part of my circuit as you can still hear the ticking and its strobes when switch is turnedoff (too a lesser degree). I attached a couple of photos.

The diagram you posted seems to be the same as on my metal. The R74 is the resistor with the output balance and on the schematic says changed from 470K to 220K your thoughts? I don’t see me needing the switch, do you propose a way to bypass it to see if that fixes my issue? or a good way to easily troubleshoot.

Thanks again and any input on anything you see - I haven't worked with something this old, what should I absolutely do before I use this thing, it has been in use by the previous owner and I have played about a dozen records on it but I have too eliminate that ticking as it drives me crazy - but even in this shape sounds really nice for my bedroom second setup.

Attachments

• SCbottom2.jpg
    SCbottom2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 65
  • SCremovedcan2.jpg
    SCremovedcan2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.