Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2013, 02:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Valvestate 8080 That's been dog Peed...

I have a Valvestate 8080 that was found in a trailer remodel and had been dog peed all over it and around it....some people. To treat this jewel like that.... Anyway, it had no speaker so I put a new Celestion in.

All the pots were sealed tight so I got all the new pots and put them in. They work now and I've finally gotten the nerve to put power to it and test it. It works without blowing the fuse! Yah! But.....(there's always a butt) Both channels have a small ground noise or something when powered up but not bad, with or without the guitar plugged in.

The Normal channel works and sounds great but the boost channel is very cruddy sounding and acts like it's got a noise gate on it turned up WAY too high.

I got a new 12AX7/ECC83S tube and installed but that just does the same and makes it rougher. I changed out the R112 and R113 resistors even though they test ok because they get real hot and I wanted new ones with a bump more wattage. No change.

I read here (where someone has an almost identical problem) that it could be IC1. In fact, 01redcobra that had a similar issue changed IC1 and that solved his issue. After reading about his issue, I fired her up and touched the top of all the Ic chips with my finger.

IC1 made the ground noise get louder when I touched the top of it in certain modes but none of the others did. It made the ground noise get louder when touching the top of it with the normal channel engaged (clean or crunch) or with the boost channel engaged in OD2, but did not with the boost channel engaged in OD1. I'm tired of this amp on my counter top! Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by wintermute; 12th July 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add white space.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Beauxdean, I've added some whitespace to your post. It is quite difficult to read a wall of words post.

Better to break it up a bit into more digestible chunks. Also you should put two spaces after a full stop. edit: hmmm it seems that the editor actually takes them out when you save!! I never noticed that before...

Last edited by wintermute; 12th July 2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add extra comment.

Hide this!Advertise here!