• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Palmer DREI - Three SE Output Tubes Together?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was recently browsing the Web and found the Palmer DREI guitar tube amp on Youtube. It uses a combination of three single-ended power tubes mixed together via separate blend controls. It appears from the Palmer website photos of the amp that it uses only one output transformer.

My question is: how do you connect all three output tubes together on one output transformer?

It is for guitar, so less worry about 'optimum' impedance. Just connect them together at a HT voltage that is OK for all valves. If you want, you can have an OPT with different taps on the primary for each type of power valve.
The difference in drive requirements for each type can be compensated or left to the player with 'blend'? pots.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
I think it just uses a regular OPT (with relatively low Ra winding) with all three tubes wired in parallel and individual cathode resistors to set the bias for each tube. All the reviews seem positive, so I will have to try to build one to check it out for myself.

Thanks Para & Multi for your replies.

Jaz, I think your right, and I would also like to give this configuration a try. I have an EL34, 6L6GC, and 6V6 laying around somewhere, along with a Hammond 125FSE (20W SE) output transformer. What's nice is that this transformer has a multi-tap secondary which you can configure for different prim. impedances (2.5K-10K). I'm sure I'll be able find a decent plate load match for all three tubes in parallel. And in a guitar amp it may not matter all that much anyway.

If you put something together that works, please post it on this thread, as I'll be checking periodically and I'd like to see what you come up with.

Live Large - Live Right

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.