• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Substitute for 5842/417A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the schematic for the amp;

Attachments

• pp6b4g.jpg
    pp6b4g.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,834
Peter Menting said:
Steve;
I was not aware of that, but this would bring me back to my original question: is there a good substitute for this tube?

Pete

Some people use the 6C45, but it's not an exact sub. You'd only need to adjust the cathode R and C maybe. Last itme I looked they were about $US12.

Good amp design. Stigla had a thread or two on this amp about a year back.

Brett,
what would be the best way to reduce the problem? Little rings and stuff...do they really help?
I bought some JAN tungsol 76 from tubestore.com and upon light and controlled shaking I can hear something moving insight. that wasn't very inspiring.
GPimm seemed to think the 76 were pretty good from that standpoint.
What do u think?

grataku said:
Brett,
what would be the best way to reduce the problem? Little rings and stuff...do they really help?

Take a look at Steve Bench's thoughts on the subject. I do something similar-ish, but most of my gear isn't built into a "picture frame with a top plate type" chassis.

I bought some JAN tungsol 76 from tubestore.com and upon light and controlled shaking I can hear something moving insight. that wasn't very inspiring.

I don't have any 76, but maybe they have a very long filament and you can hear that rattling.

GPimm seemed to think the 76 were pretty good from that standpoint.
What do u think?

Not very experienced with the 76.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.