• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Direct Coupled E-Linear Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently finished another variation on the direct coupled pentode amp with local feedback. For this version I stuck with the EL84 in the output position. I hadn't tried ultra-linear yet so I decided to use that for this amp. I found plate curves for the EL84 with 40% UL centered at 300v provided by Tom Schlangen. Using these curves I ran some sims using a straightedge and calculator.

At 300v and 40ma a load of 8kOhm looks like a good compromise for distortion and power yielding 3.4 watts with 3.6% D2 and .9% D3 before feedback is applied. The 40% partial feedback from the output tube should result in an output impedance around 300 Ohms. I had parts for a 400v power supply leaving 90v for the plate of the input tube.

In addition to the excellent distortion characteristics the ultra-linear connection eliminates the need for a regulated screen supply for the output tube. The E-linear design carries this simplification to the input stage B+ voltage. Direct coupling the input pentode allows the designer to feed the input screen from the cathode of the output tube.

I find the sound to be quite pleasant. My speakers are sensitive enough to rock on 3 watts. The sound is clean and detailed with good frequency extension.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    612.8 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 408
Good job Paul, thanks for sharing.
Will have more questions when I have a better grasp of ultra-linear and the like(currently studying the good stuff @ oestex.com)
Not yet smart enuff to see the feedback loop, can you explain or point me to some reading?
thanks in advance,
dennis h

Tube Cad Journal put up an article on this kind of feedback. The Tube CAD Journal, partial feedback amplifier I had to read it a few times before I felt I understood it. Since the load of the input tube is attached to a tap on the transformer rather than to B+ a portion of the amplified signal from the output tube appears across it. The input tube must cause a much larger voltage swing across its load for the same output than would be needed without feedback. I found this a bit tough to grasp at first since the voltage at the plate of the input tube is the same with or without feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.