• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Air travel with DIY tube gear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey-Hey!!!,
I would not travel with it bare. I'll assume that it will be able to fit in a carry on sized box with some minimal packing. I would want it easily accesable for inspection, but protected against other bags inthe same compartment.

Could you call the airline, and get their suggestion for taking it as caarry on? emphasize extreme fragility and expense, not a replaceable item and such.

Either that, or pack it well enough that you could throw it to SA. Make it tough enough that the bagage handlers can't get it apart, maybe use a wooden crate. Chrome steel might be best.
regards,
Douglas

Re: The plot thickens...

Bas Horneman said:
Yes, know what you mean...I just got of the phone with the airline..they referred my to the marechausee (special police in charge of security in holland) They referred me to the airline...but did agree to see if they have an answer...they would call me back.

Yes, and just remember, whatever they say, don't trust them.

A collegue of mine was to spend a year in Paris and checked
if he could send his 60kg electric piano with train there. Sure they
said, 60kg is OK. Off he went to get a special wooden case
made for well over $100. When he finally tried to ship it they
refused. But you said 60kg was OK. Yes, that is the limit, but
you have to split it into two boxes of 30kg each.!!!!!

Baggage.

Hi Bas,
I think you need not worry too much. If you have lettering on the unit saying Amplifier , volume etc , they will not be too alarmed.
You MUST remove all the tubes and pack them in a strong cardboard box with some small size bubble pack or foam plastic wrapping. All of it is best packed in the check in baggage . Tubes wrapped again with clothes or bubble packing.
The tubes can also go into the hand baggage.
I recently got a dozen tubes from the US and some from Singapore. They did not have any problems. All were carried in the check in bag.

Like Douglas said , pack it so that you can open it for inspection . Put a layer of clothes below and above the amp. Generally this should be good enough. If the amp is very heavy you can use a few layers of bubble packing material above and below the amp.
Sides are usually well protected with all your ( squashed up ) clothes and other things!
Hand carry is usually to be avoided nowadays. Both ways, you will still probably have to open it up and show it. Hand carry can cause trouble at many places. Check in , usually only at the first xray point.
And make sure there are no loose wires anywhere. That can frighten them ! A terminated power cord is OK.
Have a safe flight. Enjoy your holiday !
Cheers.
Ashok.

Forgot about scotch tape.

Hi Bas,
I forgot to ask you to carry a small roll of scotch tape ( cello tape ) to repack the amp if it has to be unpacked for checking. Just pack this in the bag carrying the amp. If they do unpack the amp you can repack it again easily. You may not get tape for this at the airport !
Cheers,
Ashok.

Re: Re: The plot thickens...

Christer said:

Yes, and just remember, whatever they say, don't trust them.

A collegue of mine was to spend a year in Paris and checked
if he could send his 60kg electric piano with train there. Sure they
said, 60kg is OK. Off he went to get a special wooden case
made for well over $100. When he finally tried to ship it they
refused. But you said 60kg was OK. Yes, that is the limit, but
you have to split it into two boxes of 30kg each.!!!!!

I think it's 20kg Transatlantic.

You don't have to make a wooden crate -- there are camera cases which I use -- made of high strength high density polyethylene -- you just have to make sure that the innards are accessible to security (or they'll bust the lock on you.) The biggest risk is of pilferage. You can also find used Halliburton aluminum cases from time to time.

My son just brought some used Collins avionics stuff back here from LA -- got a lot of strange looks from the airport security people -- but surprisingly since they have fired the illegal aliens from airport security it wasn't a problem.

Even when they've X-ray'ed it, I find that airport security will ask you to turn electronic equipment on to make sure that it is not loaded for a more violent use. Just about every time, I've had to turn on my Palm Pilot or CD player. Granted, I am brown and that is probably part of the profiling, but still, I think you should be prepared for that.

Since it is an amplifier intended for speakers, you may want to have some kind of way to make it play on headphones with a portable CD player. That way, when they ask you to plug it in and turn it on, it will do as advertised.

:)ensen.

purplepeople said:
...Just about every time, I've had to turn on my Palm Pilot or CD player. Granted, I am brown and that is probably part of the profiling, but still, I think you should be prepared for that.

me brown (and curly hair) too (see photo) and i reside in india most of the year. carry my laptop and pilot every trip to europe, us etc.... no trouble so far. one day i asked a friend at the NSA why i am not profiled. it was a long explanation (seriously off topic) that we can take off line.

Hi Ashok,

Thanks. He is enjoying his amp a lot. Basically it could sound average...but he loves the fact that it is a valve amp and the way it looks.

Had a great holiday..just the food was to good..and gained a lot of weight.

Happy new year to you as well.

Regards,
Bas

PS..It sounds very good as well. Better than my 6c41c amp..the reason...must be the output transformer.

Attachments

• jbstop.jpg
    jbstop.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 113
Great looks.

Hi Bas,
The amp looks very attractive - neat. I built a hybrid one recently for a friend. It looks so bad that I could not give it to him. I am working on an improved casing.
Looks like you have done point to point wiring. Mine is on a pcb and the sockets are mounted on the pcb. I think it might be better to mount the sockets on the chassis even if there is a pcb below. It will look much neater.

I found many DIY friends in my area who love to cook also. How about your friends ? Anyone else on the DIY forum with their experiences on cooking (food) ?
Cheers,
Ashok.

I think it might be better to mount the sockets on the chassis even if there is a pcb below.

I agree. I did not do that with my raleigh audio line stage...and it looks less than satisfactory.

This particular friend likes to cook. (So do I but I don't really get round to it because I get home late). In SA we do a lot of barbeques or "braai" but this friend made a wonderful prawn curry. I don't eat prawn so just ate the sauce. Other popular cooking methods in SA are "potjies" which is done in a pot. Mostly lamb..And mostly done by men as well. Lovely..had that on new years eve....

Then there is Nando's in SA..chicken in the Portuguese tradition..ie piri piri....mmmm

Cheers,
Bas

Attachments

• wraside2.jpg
    wraside2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.