• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE Hybrid Amp "The Lunatic one"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About two months ago I started to design and build an Single Ended Hybrid Amplifier .
The circuit is simple , consists of one PCF802 tube ( two common cathode gain stages ) and two PL82 pentodes ( triode connected ) in SRPP configuration as driver and third stage in the same time , DC coupled to the output stage , which is an IGΒΤ power follower ( emitter follower onto current source ) .

The circuit runs at about 220V - 225Vdc for both the sands and the tubes , but with seperate power supplies .
The name "LUNATIC" was given because of the use of high voltage IGBT and the DC coupling between them and the tubes :D .

Here is some Fotos , the IGBTs , one PL82 and the output Capacitors ( in the first two fotos ) , heatsinks and power supply capacitors on the next two fotos , and finaly the two channels pcb and the 600VA power transformer for the output stage .

Attachments

• DSC00688 Hyb1.JPG
    DSC00688 Hyb1.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSC00698.JPG
    DSC00698.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC00697.JPG
    DSC00697.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC00696.JPG
    DSC00696.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,014
  • DSC00695.JPG
    DSC00695.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,018
  • DSC00694.JPG
    DSC00694.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC00689 Hyb2.JPG
    DSC00689 Hyb2.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,067
Like any other SE class A amplifier it will have low Efficiency about 25% of the idle power , but this depends from other things too , like power supply , driver circuit , the load and the output elements too .
For the moment I have tested the tube circuit only ( the output is taken from the output of the SRPP via an capacitor 20μF/250V MKP and here is the results

Open loop : Input signal 1KHz 170mVp-p , output 74Vp-p onto 10KΩ load , this is a gain of about 53dB
with the same input signal I have 70Vp-p onto 5KΩ load
and the maximum undistorted signal at 5K load is 74Vp-p

Open Loop : -3dB point is at 48KHz .

Last edited:
My intention is to build an amplifier in Class A that would work better with high resistance speakers ( because I don't like high currents bias too much ) , like 16Ω loudspeakers , that's why I said it depends on the load ( meant loudspekers ) in the previous post , but I will tested with 8Ω loudspeakers too ( something like a tube OTL amplifier ) and so I choose B+ 220 volt for the IGBTs to be the same with the voltage of the tubes to DC coupled easy with them , I know it's a risk but I have a "plan B" if this fail , hehehe "plan B" it reminds me something here in my country ! , I said it's lunatic - crazy from the begining :D .
I will start with 80W to 100W idle for each channel and we will see , maybe there is a "little" chance to go in class A2 .

if hexfets in audio are not optimal, what should i think about igbt?
does these switching animals have nice characteristics? I admit, i do not look in igbt datasheets though

One thing i dont like about endstage,is the one transistor is static-and second one does all the work. More symetric would be nice and eficient:)

What is optimal for audio or not is a big story , that we can't cover it here ( it's a big debate ) , in my opinion most devices can play good if we treat them right , as for those IGBTs , their switching characteristics is very good they are new generation IGBTs , but here we have class A amp therefore we don't have to worry about those characteristics :D , it will matter if we have class AB amp .

Looks more like a headphone hybrid circuit.... Class A followers have been used for yrs especially on the IRF510-12 AU7 design

Attachments

• ha1.jpg
    ha1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 252
  • HEADAMP2.jpg
    HEADAMP2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 220
  • ecc88 hybrid schem kc.jpg
    ecc88 hybrid schem kc.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 231
  • glass-sand.jpg
    glass-sand.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 228
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.