• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Common Cathode as DAC output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, preparations have started to convert the PCM63k based parasound 1500 DAC with an DAC 1:20 transformer, followed by a tube-stage.

For the latter I run into designs based on SRPP...but actually I would not need its amplifications due to the 1:20 transformer so a "simple" cathode follower E88CC would make more sense at a first glance.

Going through common cathode designs and tube-curves of the e88CC it seems that the low output impedance is excellent, however I am a bit worried if such a stage could "feed-through" the max 2,8V-peak signal that the DAC will be providing.

Any thoughts or experience on this that I should consider?

(By the way, I plan to reduce the total outputlevel bij decreasing the DAC-load, which will help its performance)

Cheers

arno

Hm...in that case the advantage of an SRPP would only be the better linearity/lowTHD due to the "current source-like" function of the upper tube....right?

And....for SRPP cancelling 2nd harmonics is part of having low THD...(and maybe having a negative influence on "tube sound"....)?

Last edited:
Actually, not even that. An SRPP is useful for swinging high voltages into difficult loads and the expense of some linearity. They are quite fashionable, but hardly ever used for where they actually would do some good. A plain jane grounded cathode stage buffered by a cathode follower will perform much better for a typical DAC stage which will swing a couple volts into the input of a preamp or power amp over cables that are less than 20 meters long. If the DAC plus transformer output is high enough, you only need the cathode follower, which will (if properly designed) have stunningly low distortion.

Actually, not even that. An SRPP is useful for swinging high voltages into difficult loads and the expense of some linearity. They are quite fashionable, but hardly ever used for where they actually would do some good. A plain jane grounded cathode stage buffered by a cathode follower will perform much better for a typical DAC stage which will swing a couple volts into the input of a preamp or power amp over cables that are less than 20 meters long. If the DAC plus transformer output is high enough, you only need the cathode follower, which will (if properly designed) have stunningly low distortion.

That's what I aimed at. I planned to only have a 1x triode section behind the I/V transformer and have an as low as possible (non-transformer) output impedance. Power supply available of approx 200..220V and I also had in mind to parallel the two E88CC sections

But on the other hand....If I want 1 E88CC per channel....why not put them in parallel and have extra low output impedance...
You could, but you won't hear any improvements. So you could use just the one tube. Lower heater current and HT demand, simpler design, cheaper...

So.... 2xe88cc parallel, Rk=10k...Vsupply=200V sounds like something that might work?
When paralleled, 10k with 200V should be fine. Should be a 3 watt minimum though. Cathode bias resistor probably at around 180 ohms, depending on your preferred bias voltage.

Why not 20 of them? Even lower! :D

We'll if there would be 1 Tube with 10 double triodes in it...probably I would, but up till now a e88cc only has two..:D

It is because the choice is the E88CC and I do not favour to have 1 double triode being used for both channels....or using 2 tubes and leaving 1 triode-half per tube unused..

Hmm...reminds me of the 5842 by the way...strong little single triode tube...that's also in my 300B IT amp...:rolleyes:

With the 1:20 transformer do you need all the gain an ECC88 will give you? If not try a single 6H30P or 6N6P in a simple common-cathode circuit for an output impedance below 2kohms. It worked for me.

Required amplification by the 88 is only 1x so, don't need any amplification.

Just made the first set up and voltage checks. Now moving towards connecting the signal path ;)

Listening to it.......mellow....flow......excellent

Next steps....amplification vs DAC-load....tube rectifier....and reduce hum/rattle (must be the diode rectification HF torture that's flying around)

Attachments

• FennixDAC1.jpg
    FennixDAC1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 160
  • FennixDAC2.jpg
    FennixDAC2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 154
  • FennixDAC3.jpg
    FennixDAC3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 149
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.