• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube amp/speaker match

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

OTLs, like planet mentions, like higher loads.

Hmmm...Not quite.

That mostly depends on the Zo of the amp and the current drive capability of the valves used.

Since there's no OPT to transform Zo, the typical OTL relies on the Ri and GNFB around the output stage to lower Zo to drive mundane speaker impedances.

Unlike OPT coupled amps it can deliver an enormous amount of current compared to a OPT coupled valve amp even at low impedance depending on valve choice and design.

All of that without all of the inherent limitations of all OPT coupled valve amps.

Bandwidth you can expect from a well designed OTL can be close to DC and go all the way well into the 300KHz range with almost no node shifts.

OTLs need to be heard to be believed, they're the closest to live music I've ever heard.

In LS terms they're not unlike a good full range speaker yet far more extended at both ends of the audio spectrum.

Cheers,;)

See your point

I bet you were thinking of using the 6C33bc tubes?

I see your point. I built an OTL some 12 years ago using 20, 6LF6 tubes, 10 per channel, in triode mode. It drew 850 watts just sitting and was down, calculated and guessed, at around 1.3 mhz at -3db.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I bet you were thinking of using the 6C33bc tubes?

Nope...not really.

Unless you can suggest a way to keep those *****es inline?

I built an OTL some 12 years ago using 20, 6LF6 tubes, 10 per channel, in triode mode. It drew 850 watts just sitting and was down, calculated and guessed, at around 1.3 mhz at -3db.

Sonic bliss does seem to come at a price. OTLs and efficiency aren't synonyms but neither are pure class A designs.

No need to tell you the price of my 100 lbs vinyl spinner, the tonearm or cartridge then?
Not to mention the amp?
Or what the monoblock OTLs eat for breakie?

OK, I shut up.
If you or I hear anything better amp wise, we'll let eachother know, agreed?

It'll better be good, ;)

All the best and a very nice X- Mass to you, Steve.

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.