• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

bifilar output trans in single ended amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm curious as to wheather one could use a bifilar output transformer on a single ended amp and just run DC through the second filiment to cancel magnetic flux. And if so where could I find such a transformer. I'm working on the design of my first tube amp. As of now I'm thinking about going with a 12au7 for input/driver and a single ended parallel 2A3 output stage. Any suggestions of comments welcome. Oh yeah where can I get 2A3s. I'm poor so I would probably go with Chinese ones for my first project.
thanx

I´ve been thinking in the same ways many times, but I have never tried it out. One problem might be the fact that there will be a signal voltage present at the cancellation winding too, so I guess the DC has to be supplied through a CCS or a choke.

By the way, haven´t Andrea Ciuffoli done something like this?
A quite regular PP output stage but only one tube is connected to the driver stage, the other tube is only there to balance the DC.

This has been discussed during the years but nobody seems to have had a reliable success. Maybe because the bias current in the output tube varies. My own idea is to use a constant current source feeding a low impedance winding and a servo measuring the bias current in the tube to compensate. I have never tried it though.

One weird idea is to use the secondary winding and AC-couple the speaker. Then use a sand state constant current source to cancel the field in the transformer. Complicated, it would be easier to AC-couple the tube to the transformer and feed the tube through a choke.

Extra windings also cause more leakage inductance, something to think about.

Jax said:
it would be easier to AC-couple the tube to the transformer and feed the tube through a choke.
This is a good solution because the transformer can then have high inductance and tight coupling for good LF and HF response respectively. Because it now doesn't need an airgap in the core (no dc flowing in it) this is much easier to achieve.

Yes, at least in theory. But as Jax points out there must be some reason why noone does it.

The problem with higher leakage inductance should be lower if the cancellation winding only has a few turns and is fed by a high current instead of being similar to the primary winding.

That high DC current could always be used to heat some tubes:)

Hey-Hey!!!,
Bi-Filar will take up a lot of room. Not good for parasitic stuff. It will also have a voltage on it that matches the tube. Cpaacitive coupling to this winding will be substantial.
Now, you could just put in another winding, of say a third of the plate winding count, not absolutely a bi-filar one, and pass higher current through it. at the 'one third' count, you'll develop a third of the voltage and require 9x the current to off set the plate's field.

Just because nobody has tried it is no measure of its workability or potential.

regards,
Douglas

The people who uses 811A, 805 and other tubes that draws grid current often drives them with inverting interstage transformers.

Since the transformers are inverting the grid current and the driver tubes plate current is out of phase, partially cancelling the DC flux in the core. Very clever, but the transformers has to be very well made to work well in inverting mode.

Instead of using servo circuits to get perfect cancellation we could use a tiny airgap that allows some imbalance. I believe it´s benificial for the linearity, by the way. The primary inductance would still be much higher than a regular SE- tranny with a fullsize airgap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.