• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mac 2100 Hybrid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Through serendipity I acquired a set of transformers for a McIntosh 2100. Having built several tube/power MOS hybrids over the past 5 decades, my thoughts started to turn in that direction. Hmm an amp having tubes and output transformers; a Mac no less. Then for less than $60 (including shipping) an MX112 power xfmr popped up on the trading site. That sealed the deal. What I was doing before was to run a voltage amp stage followed by a frame grid cathode follower driver, and then the MOSFET output stage, which was of course configured as a source follower complementary output. I also obtained a pair of anode chokes (which I will run as cathode chokes) to provide for the drive stage interface. Will provide updates as this project proceeds.:cool:

WOW I checked out the power transformer; it has a 5.3V 4A winding and a 170V 110mA winding. Since I just bought 11HM7s from Doug I am good to go with just the existing transformer set. The 11HM7's can be configured as 5.5V heaters. A perusal of Mouser and Digi-key turned up the power MOS in TO-247 packaging. Configured as source followers they are going to have about 25nF input capacitance. At a radial velocity of 200K that will present an impedance of -j2000 to the drive tubes. To provide 40V peak drive then I need 20 mA; 30 would be better to reduce distortion. Now that 170V winding will be running about 250V to the plates, providing a plate dissipation of about 7.5W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.