• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Soundstage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What affects the soundstage a preamp produces? The reason I ask is when I hook up my DAC directly to my amp I get a significantly wider soundstage that I do when I put the preamp in between. I am wondering where I could start to look in the preamp to improve on this.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably would not be a bad idea to give us a lot more detail about the components in your system. It may be that a simple passive attenuator is all that is required here unless you also play LPs.

Consider posting schematics or links to same of your pre-amplifier. Follow copyright requirements for any documents you post.

Interesting theories here ... but what of compression? A remarkable number of preamps - especially based on FETs and triodes, compress the signal audibly. In "live sound" mixing (one of my hobbies), this isn't a bug, but a feature. Indeed... so much so, that most 2012 or later mid-grade mixers have 50% to 100% of their input line preamps outfitted with a variable compression knob. Does remarkable things for vocals. Even the circa 1995 Yamaha 01V (digital mixer) had both compression and expansion in a combo-function that could be engaged on any channel.

Having built a number of FET and triode "Preamps" (I put that in quotes, because its simpler than saying, "sound contouring modules") for a whole bunch of different applications, compression is a very real phenomenon that can be employed (or worked around) at that critical first input stage. Bug, or Feature ... depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I could imagine that subtle compression would make the soundstage seem smaller. Does in live music!

GoatGuy

Yes I am able to control volume in digital domain. Would like to get away from that by using a preamp. Also because I have inefficient speakers I need more gain. The preamp in question (currently) is a Tubes4Hifi Aikido. It is only 15 db gain so not over the top. It appears to be pretty simple circuit and has a decent sound though lacking in clarity and soundstage. I think I know how to improve the clarity aspect. But I have no knowledge base for soundstage.

Here is a link:Dynaco PAS3 rebuild in addition this power supply http://www.tubes4hifi.com/PAS3.htm#regPS

because I have inefficient speakers I need more gain.

There is a misunderstanding here: the maximum output from the amplifier is a function of its input sensitivity. If your amplifier reaches clipping, i.e. maximum output, with 500mV input, then applying 501mV input will just drive the amp further into clipping. If you have inefficient speakers you need more wattage output from your amplifier not voltage input from the preamp.

Balancing imperfections with imperfections, as claimed in the link, is rarely a good idea except in truly balanced configurations like push-pull or LTP.
Could you explain to me what this means? I don't understand, entry level understanding is where I am. (sorry I looked at the link and see what you are saying) But isn't that the claim of Aikido linestages?

Last edited:
What affects the soundstage a preamp produces? The reason I ask is when I hook up my DAC directly to my amp I get a significantly wider soundstage that I do when I put the preamp in between. I am wondering where I could start to look in the preamp to improve on this.

We met once in Milwaukee at wildbillys and Doc's place. I thought I recognized your screen name, I went to NEWAS and saw your postings there.

Yeah I like I to like a big wide sound stage. My CDP is a highly modified Sony X77ES even stock it throws out a very wide deep sound stage.

I personally believe that everything can contribute and detract from a sound stage. I don't use a preamp either with my mono blocks. Good ones are very expensive for my tastes. I have heard power amps shrink the stage, preamp's and CDP's. The biggest culprit for me has been speaker networks in my system. I stuck $2000 in parts into my speakers and the sound stage exploded in width and depth. Its pretty cool to sit 10 ft away and hear a recording sound as big as the recording suggests, I listen on my long wall with speakers 9ft apart yet I have lateral imaging from some recordings extending an easy 10ft left and right of each speaker. The stock speakers barely have the image ever get by the speakers boundaries in contrast. You might try a AVC (autotransformer volume control) This a transformer with a single winding the thought is it should retain better signal integrity then a conventional double winding design.

I have used 3 different auto-transformers for my speakers midrange, they all sound different. So YMMV

intact audio

There is a guy on the site that takes the design even further with remote control and a digital display.

SET12

Attachments

• 26 Preamp and PS.jpg
    26 Preamp and PS.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 139
  • 26 Preamp no Input Cap.jpg
    26 Preamp no Input Cap.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 132
You mean like this?

Nope, like this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Its from Bent Audio BentAudio.com :: TAP

It has a choice of either purely passive or an active buffer.

I haven't heard it, but I would like to. I think for $350 I would buy an assembled version of just the Autotransformers from intact. Listen to them and if I like what I heard only then would I consider Bent Audio.

In the end though I think I would prefer to design a tube buffer stage if I felt I needed it and I'm not talking about the typical classically designed tube buffer.

SET12

Last edited:
Cross-talk between the two channels. Most of this will be caused by capacitive coupling between the channels (wiring, switches, and volume controls), common and relatively high impedance ground connections. Coupling through the power supply at both frequency extremes.
Dual mono units don't always produce wider soundstage than stereo units. The secret of wide (and deep) soundstage is somewhere else... (Not that I know where :confused:)

Dual mono units don't always produce wider soundstage than stereo units. The secret of wide (and deep) soundstage is somewhere else... (Not that I know where :confused:)

Even speaker networks can contribute to sound stage size. Mine tripled when I replaced all the stock values with high subjective value parts. IMO it takes a whole system to be capable of a big stage otherwise you get the weakest link. I have heard several pieces of gear do this in my own system. Also setup goes a long way. I prefer being on a wall that has full corners otherwise I can hear ambient room que size being sucked right out instead of a nice even (left to right) fully fleshed out recorded sense of space.

1-Forte-1 network contrast.jpg

The experience was a very interesting phenomena and for me got my very inexpensive speakers performing like I paid $10,000 for them but of course I paid some $2500 for parts but it was worth every penny. I also learned that often people don't go far enough in such mods. I could of spent $10,000 on parts if I had wanted. I have encouraged others to do this and they got similar results and just recently someone did this with what I would refer to as my minimums and was in total shock I think the title of his thread says it all. He spent about $1000.

Are You Kidding Me !!!!!!!!!! Forte Upgrade - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

SET12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.