• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5 wire and 3 wire output transformer change ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By '5 wire' I assume you mean UL. With a '3 wire' OPT you only have the choice between triode and pentode mode; presumably the transformer will only have the correct impedance for one of these. The gain, power and distortion will be different for each mode. If there is global feedback this adds further complication, especially with a cheap transformer - you might get instability.

270R between g2 and anode will give you triode mode. For pentode mode you are likely to need a slightly different value from g2 to the supply rail and a decouping cap to ground. Alternatively, you might be able to connect g2 straight to the supply and adjust the g1 bias - depends on the supply voltage.

You might get better advice in the Instruments & Amps forum - this one is for hi-fi.

For pentode mode you are likely to need a slightly different value from g2 to the supply rail and a decouping cap to ground. Alternatively, you might be able to connect g2 straight to the supply and adjust the g1 bias - depends on the supply voltage.

I would prefer pentode mode for more power.

Any idea what resistor I would need to connect g2 to B+ ?

It's a cathode bias or fixed bias ?
Anyway you need to know plate voltage , most guitar amps use EL34 in pentode mode , g2 is connected to B+ by a 1K/1W resistor , for plates voltages beetween 350-400V is ok. In amps where tubes are pushed to 450-500V or more , is better to use a bit lower voltage for g2 ...
Anyway looking at the EL34 datasheet s the way , also lookin at some commercial amps such marshall , engl , peavey , ecc..
Of course you need to measure current to be sure you're not exceeding absolute maximum value per plate and screen dissipation !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.