Why 6.3V? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2013, 01:02 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Tubelab, I believe that Bill Lear kept the rights to the Lear jet 8 track tape player when he sold Lear Jet as his next adventure was to build a factory exclusively for the purpose of building a 12V version of the Learjet 8 track stereo for selling into the automotive market place. The new business grew so rapidly that Bill finally sold it saying he did not want to spend another day in expansion meetings trying to keep up with automotive demand for the 8 track tape players. Bill was an impressive inventor and started and sold a number of different businesses in his life time. Mickeystan
Old 29th June 2013, 04:50 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I remember Muntz TVs. Had to fix a lot of them! Seems the way they were made, had to tweak a lot of resistors to make them work. I also remember Muntz Stereopack which said not affiliated with Muntz TV on them. I had a 4 track player. Not much difference between 4 and 8 track except the rubber roller was inside 8 tracks and on a lever thing for 4 track. The one I had would play the large 4 track tapes which I think were 6 inches? I could record many hours of songs on them in mono since most of the records I had were mono. But had to change tracks using a switch which was the way it was made. Here is how vibrators work. Most were 3 pins, center one was ground. The magnet coil was connected from the frame of it, ground to the pin going to the contact that would short it out when magnet pulled it, thus cutting off power to coil and energizing one side of primary winding. so went back to where it was and more until it was really buzzing. The armature had a weight on it so vibration was tuned to around 60 CPS in most and some was 115 CPS. Also some fancy 6 pin ones with a set of contacts for secondary side, so no rectifier, called synchronous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VIB.jpg (20.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 29th June 2013, 06:32 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I also repaired hundreds of TV's in my early electronics career and do not have any fond memory of the Muntz brand particularly with the sync separator circuits they employed.
In reference to the vibrator discussion, I remember the 3 pin units as being the later 12v vibrators and the 4 pin version as being the earlier 6v version. How many of you remember the 0Z4 rectifier tubes commonly found in early car radios? Occasionally, one would find a 6X5 rectifier. Mickeystan
Old 30th June 2013, 12:39 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
do not have any fond memory of the Muntz brand
Do you remember the horizontal oscillator that got its feedback via a spring wound around the output tube? The HOT glowed red in normal operation....like some of my experiments.

We had a vocational high school electronics class where I learned how to melt tubes. The teacher often used the phrase, "Muntzing a circuit" to describe the process of removing things until it died, then putting that part back. He would ask several students to design something. The working circuit with the fewest parts wins.
Old 30th June 2013, 01:55 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

another aspect of "Muntzing" was using the same value parts as often as possible to reduce inventory items even if series or parallel parts and poor operation resulted, also saw this strategy used in Bose 901 equalizer box.
Old 30th June 2013, 03:50 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Yes, they were 12 version used in 57 Chevy radios. Guess someone Muntz-ed those also. I have a whole case of 0Z4 tubes, but must be earlier run, marked "G" and have smaller diameter base part and no shield can.
On vehicle voltage, seems all Military stuff when I was in the Army was 24 volt battery and charge was around 28.5 volts. I had an R-392 radio and all tubes were 28 volt filament. The 28D7 put out a whopping 0.175 watt in push-pull. Aircraft was 24 volt DC for some stuff and a lot of the instruments were 110 volts 400 Hz 3 phase.

Hide this!Advertise here!