EI yugoslavia gone forever. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
Default EI yugoslavia gone forever.

Ive read through. This: Audio HiFi Forum - Audiohard.com • View topic - Ei Ni? - vesti i dogadjaji

And it seems like EI yugoslavia is no more. the machines where destroyed.

Indeed Ei yugoslavia was accuired by Western electric at one moment. However It seems that they wound up in a legal dispute over ownership of the production equipment. in the end it seems he ordered every machine scrapped..

such a shame, those Telefunken tools where really special. and could have been used to make alot of ECC83

v4lve
Old 7th June 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lve lover View Post
Ive read through. This: Audio HiFi Forum - Audiohard.com • View topic - Ei Ni? - vesti i dogadjaji

And it seems like EI yugoslavia is no more. the machines where destroyed.

Indeed Ei yugoslavia was accuired by Western electric at one moment. However It seems that they wound up in a legal dispute over ownership of the production equipment. in the end it seems he ordered every machine scrapped..

such a shame, those Telefunken tools where really special. and could have been used to make alot of ECC83

v4lve
Between the Musicians and Audiophiles around the world who demand tubes, which grows more every day. You will be seeing tube factories re-open, and ones that are environmentally safe, maybe even in the US. After the experiences I've had with tubes over the years, I will never go back to Solid State.
Old 7th June 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Difficult to follow the story even with Google translate. Does it say that other foreign companies were interested (such as PM Components in the UK?).

Deliberately destroying some of the few remaining valve building lines seems to be both industrial and cultural vandalism.

Looking on the bright side, does this mean the few Ei valves I have will now rise in value?
Old 7th June 2013, 10:20 PM   #4
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  England
diyAudio Member

Its like anything else..

If its any good it gets trashed...
No wonder the world economy is in such a state..Its like two people arguing over the only food plant and then burning it to the ground..as the final embers burn out the question is what are we going to eat now then?

Then its your fault ..no its your fault...etc...Its all quite sad really.

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 7th June 2013, 10:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Greed. Plain and simple... M. Gregg has it exactly. There is less and less new design, new intelectual property coming out so the Hyenas have to come out and flex their muscles because they're too stupid to come up with anything new on their own but they want to make money on somebody's old technology... The US is full of this type of thinking and it seems to be spreading around the world more and more each day. Maybe it's a human condition... Who knows...
Unfortunately it's the consumers (us) that suffer.
Oh! And Western Electric hasn't been Western Electric since the late 1980's. It's just a bunch of wahoos capitalizing on a once great company. Actually, I think it's been a series of wahoos...
Too bad....
Enough of my rant.

Last edited by danFrank; 7th June 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Looking on the bright side, does this mean the few Ei valves I have will now rise in value?
Funny!
Old 7th June 2013, 11:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

in short, WE bought the factory in order to destroy it (as a competition) and that's what they did in the end. the new owner sold the tools as scrap metal.
Old 7th June 2013, 11:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Happens all the time. It's called capitalism, you know that same system that's so much based on the nature of most humans: greed and not miuch else.
Obsolescense is part of it too, obviously....

Enough politics, does anyone have a timeline on EI history? Their product range (mostly TV and industry oriented I suspect).
They were a Philips subsidiary using acquired TFK machinery?

All I can say is that buying from them sure wasn't easy. With dictator Tito still installed at the time and nobody speaking English, it sure did feel like speaking to a brick wall....

Bygones....
Old 7th June 2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

yup

exactly because of that dictatorship you can find so many re-branded EI toobz everywhere ,same as Iskra (Slovenian factory , then Yu ) resistors and caps in Quad gadgets .......

look at Jogi's pages for (random) info

however ...... times long gone
Old 8th June 2013, 12:26 AM   #10
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Is Charles Whitener still in charge of the "new" WE?

Somehow I doubt that he would be the sort of person to trash a tube plant, or try to cut out other competition. Especially since there are so many Chinese copies of 300B tubes to be had today, knocking off one, a small one at that, makes little sense.

Shame though.

_-_-bear

Hide this!Advertise here!