Tubes in an opamp feedback loop ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Tubes in an opamp feedback loop ?

Disclaimer 1: I'm posting this in the tubes forum because I doubt it would receive much attention in the headphones forum (seems mostly ss over there). Sorry if it was a mistake.

Disclaimer 2: it involves opamps, don't me.

This said, I once had a nice headphones amplifier which made use of the following topology:

Click the image to open in full size.

It was a kit by Helmut Becker from Audiovalve (see details here: PCL805-Roehren-Kopfhoererverstaerker_von_Helmut_Becker).

Of course, I could just clone it, I've got all the information needed. But it was in fact more powerful than needed (especially for the hd650 I've got now) and I was wondering if a simpler version couldn't be made, using ecl84 rather than ecl85.

Here are two ideas (see attached pics). They are determined by what I've got on hand (a good 300Vdc supply, a quad of ecl84) and the schematics are just concepts (lacking dc protection and the like).

The first one uses three supply (-20/+20/+300), is dc-coupled (which is stupid... output caps might be safer) and uses a cascoded cathode follower inside the opamp feedback loop. About 25ma standing current.

The second one uses a White cathode follower output inside an opamp feedback loop. Which means input and output caps and a floating PS for the opamp. Same standing current but can deliver a lot more current into the load.

Any of these looking like a worthwhile summer project ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prinzip.jpg (19.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg lunatic1.JPG (52.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg lunatic2.JPG (57.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 7th June 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

Default glass and sand

Or you could mix it up differently, tube for the differential input and sand on the output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glass-sand.jpg (458.9 KB, 155 views)
Old 7th June 2013, 09:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Neat little circuit. Reminds me of the Borbely hybrid opamp (scrolling down to fig 4: Designing An Opamp Headphone Amplifier | HeadWize ). But more economical by using the heaters as load.

This said, I already have a tube+sand hybrid: 12au7 gain stage on 150v, ccs loaded, followed by a servoed darlington buffer. Sounds nice but I'd rather do something different.
Old 7th June 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

the only thing I would do is put a resistor in series to the non inverting input on the op amp (signal in) but it would take some calculation as setting up the gain structure will be critical.
Old 8th June 2013, 10:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the question, but I'm a bit confused. Which circuit are you speaking of ? The original RKV, my first proposal, the second one or roline's ?

In mine, tubes provide no gain at all.
Old 8th June 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
FoMoCo is offline FoMoCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Done right, it should work. But... May I ask why?

By the way, compensation will probably be a nightmare. You've got a good chance of making an oscillator with that circuit. That's not to say that it will oscillate, but be sure to check for parasitic oscillations.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:03 PM   #7
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

I did something like this:Click the image to open in full size.
when inserting some tubyness (AKA a little bit of 2nd H) into a CD player.
Click the image to open in full size.
More such at Modifying CD player DAC circuits

Hide this!Advertise here!