Comments on 6C33C-B ARG OTL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2013, 07:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can some one help explain 6C33C OTL circuit

Hi I am in the process of building a SET with 6C33C-B tubes, I found this tubes are also used in OTL amps, and the idea of building an AMP without having to invest in Output transformers seems excellent.

I have been reading about OTLs and came across this design form Eugene Kremiński from Lviv, Ukraine which is highly regarded by Lampizator. Is this design worth a try?

I really don't understand how the thing works, can anybody here comment and on the circuit design, pros and cons, has anybody built something similar?
Click the image to open in full size.
Any explanation is welcomed.

Last edited by jfbaquero; 10th June 2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: make title clear
Old 4th June 2013, 08:34 PM   #2
cnpope is offline cnpope  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbaquero View Post
Hi I am in the process of building a SET with 6C33C-B tubes, I found this tubes are also used in OTL amps, and the idea of building an AMP without having to invest in Output transformers seems excellent.

I have been reading about OTLs and came across this design form Eugene Kremiński from Lviv, Ukraine which is highly regarded by Lampizator. Is this design worth a try?

I really don't understand how the thing works, can anybody here comment and on the circuit design, pros and cons, has anybody built something similar?

Any explanation is welcomed.
It's a circlotron. A nice, very symmetrical, output stage. You can find various discussions and explanations on the internet if you google for circlotron. One nice discussion is in John Broskie's article

http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2003...irclotrons.pdf

where he explains a bit about it, and contrasts it with the other common OTL output topology, the totem pole. John Broskie has various other articles discussing OTL amplifiers on his website. I've built a couple of OTLs using 6C33C tubes; both of them are totem pole rather than circlotron, but they give a really nice sound. I've also built a circlotron using EL509 sweep tubes. Personally, having got into OTL, I'd never go back to building amplifiers with output transformers.

Chris
Old 5th June 2013, 03:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Cnpope, Broskie's article is very enlightening even though I don't get one half of the stuff. I know transcendent sound, I even have Rozenblitz's two books, so I know about his patent. Very polemic issue this of Rozenblitz's patent being just the same OTL circuit of old. Needless to say I only get the airplane car analogy, but I don't get a bit of the explanation "dumb me".
Old 9th June 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Can the power supply units in this Cicltron design be replaced by solid state regulated ones? What is the use of the hybrid power supply? is it just to delay start? What is the function of inductance LD1, LD2 and LD3? Are the really necessary?
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Check out the otl design by Tim Melow

I built one and it sounds better than any amp I have ever owned

Check out my post

New otl project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1425326711575763706220.jpg (546.5 KB, 37 views)
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbaquero View Post
Can the power supply units in this Cicltron design be replaced by solid state regulated ones?
Yes. It would be an improvement.

Quote:
What is the use of the hybrid power supply? is it just to delay start? What is the function of inductance LD1, LD2 and LD3? Are the really necessary?
These are ripple filter chokes. It requires a separate PS for the front end. The finals can pull the required bigamps at very low voltages, but the front end requires higher voltage so's it can operate with good linearity. Passive filtering is easy and reliable. However, chokes that can handle the current demand of the finals are going to be quite heavy, as they'll need a lot of iron.

These could be replaced with either active decouplers, or active regulators. The whole back end could be replaced with power MOSFETs that can handle the current demand, and do it without requiring the heater power. Any VT that can handle bigamps will have power hungry heaters.

Hide this!Advertise here!