• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

type 27 pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have seen a design for a 26 that has choke loading of the anode, what are the benefits of this ? . Would the 27 be better if choke loaded.

The 26 and 27 are very similar so you could look at circuits using that too.

Burnedfingers had a thread running on that valve as well.

Choke loading offers a much higher impedance AC-wise than a resistively loaded design.
Final results will depend on implementation but in theory it should be better to use a choke.

Cheers,;)

Some people say the #27 holds the same promise the #26 does. I cannot comment on this as yet. I just received a 2.5V transformer today and will wire it in tomorrow for a try. The circuit will have two 150H chokes in series to the plate for each tube. I will try AC on the heaters first with the hopes that it might work. Looks like I will aim for 135Von the plate for the first go around.

Will post more tomorrow.

Joe

Update

Wired in the heater transformer and fired it up today. It doesn't quite live up to the #26's performance. It is however very natural sounding without any microphonic problems. Its worth the time to play with. Running AC on the heaters with very little hum. Running 135volts on the plate and 9volts cathode voltage. Sounds very nice with 2) 150 H chokes in series to the plate.

Joe

27 Line Amp

26 and 27 are very close regarding µ, Ia and Rp, but 27 is pretty easy to heat. Just AC heating and it works fine. For 26 you will need a regulated DC supply in most cases.
Running with 135v Ua and -9V Ug the Rp of 27 is 11kohms.

For 11kohms Ri a choke starts to work series with 150H, it delivers -1db at 45Hz and - 3dB at 12Hz.

Regards

Ralf

Re: Drop the chokes or keep them?

burnedfingers said:

Is it your feeling the chokes should be dropped in favor of a plate resistor? That is the notion I get when I read your response that it is 3db down at 12HZ.

I like plate chokes and interstage coupling pretty much. But with circa 10k Rp the critical value is reached. With very high inductive chokes you can underrun the cut-off at bass frequencies, but one should take care about parasitic capacities of the windings.

From my point of view -3dB at 12Hz is still fair; in most cases the complete system including speakers can not perfom on this level.

Regards

Ralf

Re: Drop the chokes or keep them?

burnedfingers said:
Sounds very nice with 2) 150 H chokes in series to the plate.
burnedfingers said:
Is it your feeling the chokes should be dropped in favor of a plate resistor? That is the notion I get when I read your response that it is 3db down at 12HZ.
Anyone else have any feelings on this?

Keep the chokes. With two in series, you have 300H, not the 150H of RS's calc so your f3 should be around 6Hz not factoring in the 7k4 winding resistance of the two of them.

I knocked together the 27 pre last weekend. The sound is amazing i'll never go back to my accuphase pre, althouth the accuphase does have better facilities :)
I am using my power supply chokes in the anode feed, these are 450H. I want to go back to a valve rectifier using 5u4g, as i have a few. The problem is i no longer have the chokes, can i use a capacitor filter and if so is there a simple way to work out the required C and R.
thanks in advance, peter.

Gday J,

Thanks for your advice, i had already given up on the chokes they are back in my supply. I'm currently using 130R on the anode, I hate to say this, the tube type decides which resistance should be used. I have some deforest 427 with the punched shiny anode and a nipple on top. these run with 130, the 427's with the mesh anode run 150. I have lots of other 27's to try and it is quite a task.

Hi!

I am currently building a #27 pre for my brother. It will be loaded by Gary Pimms BBMCCCS, using the mu output.

Check out http://www.angelfire.com/ut/Likkhalt/index3.htm

to see schematic plus construction pic's so far.

I really look foreward to listen to this pre, I think it will be a stunner!! The tubes will be AC heated, so I hope I dont runn into problems with hum. I'll keep you posted about the sound when I get it running.

stigla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.