6CB5 in triode PP? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2013, 11:31 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Thomas,

I've looked over your blog several times. Nice builds!

I do not see the PP class A amp you are referring to.i would probably go AB1 anyway. What plate load did you use for your PP amp?

I'd like to get 45-60W out of a pair.

Miles, I'm good with Pentode. Even screen drive at lower voltage than Tubelab uses. I have some old Fisher KX-100 (or at least access to) output iron to use as a Phase inverter for a screen drive type setup.

Thanks,

Blair
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:58 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi

I did not publish the PP amps on my blog. I am mostly into SE.
For Class A PP you need twice the load impedance as for Class A SE. I used 8k plate to plate in my PP build. AB has different load requirements.

Do you really need that much power? Are your speakers that inefficient?

Best regards

Thomas
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Thomas,

My speakers are fairly inefficient. I use a 185W Emotiva most of the time to drive them. I have a ST-70 Dynaco, but it doesn't cut it at all during transients.

I'm not trying to go "Tubelab" here, but agood amount of power would be nice. I think I found your old schematic somewhere. Uses an interstate transformer for phase inverter duty? In a post I found, it said you used a 7K output transformer and the amp was good for ~15W class A. I cannot figure out how to get the image off my phone.

So, AB Pentode should have a realistic output of at least 40W I would think.

Blair
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:30 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi!

I published it years ago on a german tube forum. But if you want to go Pentode AB, this schematic will not help much.

Thomas
Old 9th June 2013, 04:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think I am going to order some edcor output iron for this project. Too much going on this summer to swing the $400 for an octet of KT-120s for my other project.

So, is ~2.4K the proper load for a PP pentode pair also?

EDCOR - CXPP60-MS-2.4K

Maybe this transformer? I've also read that the 6CB5 and other horizontal sweeps are relatively easy to drive. Could I use a simple, single tube driver using something like the 6GF7A as a driver?

http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/049/6/6GF7A.pdf

Thanks!

Blair
Old 10th June 2013, 02:39 AM   #16
multi is offline multi  Australia
diyAudio Member

deicide67
I am testing power transformers for using 4X 6CB5 triode connected; I intend to use Choke input and set the voltage using AC caps; I intend to use 400 volts.
Luckily the power transformer has a 10 amp at 6.3 volts and 6.3 at 6 amps. If I don't like the amp I can always use 6550's at a higher voltage either UL or Triode.
I intend to use 2.2k A---A.{also siuts 4 X 6550's} and cathode drive using 6BL7's and 12BH7's or Russian 6N6 as drivers.
Phil
Old 10th June 2013, 02:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Blair - Not sure if you've seen the 6CB5A thread linked below . . . I posted some PP schematics that I had breadboarded (that project is still together but dormant again - too many distractions!) There's also a pdf of Thomas Mayer's PP design that uses an interstage transformer and a few posts by Bandersnatch about his design that uses 6BQ5s as drivers. Maybe he'll see this and post a schematic and give us an update on how it all turned out, if it did. Anyway, check it out . . .

6CB5 AMP BUILD.

. . . Charlie
Old 10th June 2013, 02:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Charlie,

Blair wants to use the 6CB5A pentode connected, so this schematic won't help much. I did a Class A PP which gives twice the output power compared to a SE with a single tube.
I never tried the 6CB5A pentode connected.

Thomas
Old 10th June 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

For the PP pentode version I used a voltage regulator tube to supply the screen voltage. I don't think I drew up a schematic for it though.

. . . Charlie
Old 10th June 2013, 06:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

For Pentode, I would probably just use a separate small transformer with a choke input supply for the screens.

There is also a 1.7K @ 100W Edcor output transformer that I could use for PPP (4) 6CB5As.

The $40 difference in price is not too bad. I suspect around 40W per pair at 350V B+. Or will is be less?

Thanks!

Blair

Hide this!Advertise here!