• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Input capacitance when tube is not conducting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a standard anode follower, doesn't have much juice, would appreciate it if you can tell me if it would work well. Something like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Rg - 560kΩ (paralled with 50kΩ potentiometer}
Rc - 240Ω
Rp - 8.2kΩ
Cp - 2.2µF
Cc - none

6H30 datasheet:

http://www.hifitubes.nl/weblog/wp-content/electro-harmonix-6h30-eh.pdf

Probably lacking "stones", even though the triode is excellent.

I'm having PC trouble and using my wife's laptop. Currently, I can't upload graphics. Scan the archives for my posts about the tweaked RCA phono preamp. That shows how to DC couple an enhancement mode MOSFET to a triode.

As you will be driving a LOW impedance load, a LARGE O/P coupling cap. is needed. A 15 muF. metallized polypropylene part bypassed by a 1.5 muF. PPFX MultiCap allows for an obscenely low 2KOhm downstream load. Running an IRFBC20 with 25 mA. of drain current will get you an O/P impedance well under 100 Ohms. A 1 KOhm net downstream load, which is worse than obscene, is quite acceptable. :D

The 2kΩ load, I assume you are refering to the MOSFET? And the large coupling cap is to go between the tube and the MOSFET? So no DC coupling?

When I was building the F4 (actually, still am), I contemplated building the JFET input stage into the line stage instead of the power amp. It is basically a the B1 buffer. But I decided against building funky stuffs to minimise interoperability problems. :D

If the cable capacitance is the only issue, I can consider switching the output, and/or try to limit the cable length. I haven't build this so all options are on the table.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.