• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Room resonances

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, funny you should mention that. As I was digging up the photo, I was wondering the same thing.

I think that perhaps for the amount of work that he does, He's just learned t not to listen too loud. Either that or he doesn’t listen at all and just matches the meters.

Its also just very likely that he knows how 95% of the product will be consumed. After its been ripped….

Fine looking SSL you got there. Scully! Most frustrating is that I think I actually once used that machine. (looks like the one the used to be up the hall in the electronic music lab. A big Moog with a Prime Time) I wasn’t a TM, or music major, just seemed to know a few.

Ceiling material

Hi Da5 (hope you don't mind shortening the log name),

The ceiling material, I believe, is actually part of the tar roof from what I am told. Looking at it, from inside the room, reminds me of staw that is intertwined. Lots of tiny gaps in the intertwining. I think the top side (roof side) is rather thick with layers of tar and tar paper. I believe it was applied some 30 years ago.

One wall is all wood, with 1" x 2" strips of wood applied from ceiling to floor. The other wall looks like just plaster.

BlueRussian,
Sounds Great, I'll get the wings. I don’t know if I'm allowed on campus, there was that thing with the Fire alarm in King, and Collin is still angry that I wrecked the IRC van, I think the only reason they graduated me was to get rid of me before something really bad happened.

Positron,

Does the ceiling treatment look like dried spaghetti? I'm having a tough time picturing the space it sounds either like a recording studio or vintage industrial park.

I’ve seen the dried spaghetti stuff used in gymnasiums and lecture halls. It comes in 1 and 2" thickness. I would imagine that it is either attached to the roof joists or some other ceiling. I put some up in a television studio. We used angle brackets to hold it between the room joists with bats of fiberglass above.

I'll be interesting to hear more about the room after you get a chance to listen to some stuff in it.

Tectum!

Tectum, and it rhymes with....

This was a tough one to dig up, I almost had to ask an architect for help. The spaghetti stuff is made by a company called Tectum and they also make a product designed to be used a roof deck.

http://www.tectum.com/roofdeck.htm

There is lots of it applied over concrete surfaces in the Fredonia IM Pei buildings.

-Dave

Attachments

• tectum.jpg
    tectum.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 141
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The spaghetti stuff is made by a company called Tectum and they also make a product designed to be used a roof deck.

Hey...This looks familiar.

At my parents we used to have the exact same stuff.
If I rember correctly these were about 0.50 * 0.50 cm each or thereabout.

Do they cause acoustical problems you know of?

Cheers,;)

Please use only as directed:

Having seen the criminal charges this week from the "Great White" fire and tragedy its probably worth a quick mention about fire proof materials. The owners of the club applied a packing material of convoluted foam to the walls and ceiling of their club in an poor attempt to keep the clubs music form bothering neighbors. One article I read interviewed the foams vendor who stated the owners opted for the packing foam over a fireproof acoustic foam to save about $200.

Fire rated materials are priceless. The unthinkable can happen to you. Please don’t take chances with glues and materials that are not designed to be used as wall or ceiling treatments.

Tectrum, incidentally is designed for use as an acoustic material. As a small segue, it is also fire proof:

Tectum products are composed of aspen wood fibers and an inorganic hydraulic cement binder, and are formed in a continuous process under heat and pressure. All of our products carry a Class A/1 interior finish rating for flame and smoke.

The acoustic properties are reasonably well documented:
http://www.tectum.com/specifications.htm
Some architects and acousticians have learned effective ways as using this odd looking stuff as part of elaborate acoustic treatments. Its also tough as rock, which makes it great for use in gymnasiums.

Thanks for listening to my angst about quasi-acoustic materials with no fire resistant qualities and please be careful.

-Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.