Akido preamp suggestions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Akido preamp suggestions.

Hello all,

Audiogon led me to someone selling an Akido line stage preamp which led me to a review which led me to a kit web site.

I would really like to get myself into actually building a kit. The kit sells for $150 - a power supply, chassis and cover and controls. The kit even includes the tubes and a book of building suggestions and schematics. In the he says it cost him something like $400 total to build this kit.

I already have a preamp but for some reason there is something about it I just don't like.

Can someone tell if this Akido preamp kit would be a godd starter piece of audio equipment for me to get started with? I work as a manufacturing engineer ...it's just that electronics still baffle me because I can't see anything move when electricity runs through wires and the only time I know something is when I see smoke or smell something burning. I'll try to find the first kink and would appreciate any comments...even mean ones.
Blake
Old 16th May 2013, 05:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is the link that got me interested:

REVIEW: Glass-Ware Aikido Line Stage Kit Preamplifier (Tube) - amioutaline? - Amp/Preamp Asylum

Please let me know if this is something a complete newbie can do if I take my time?

Thank again....Blake
Old 16th May 2013, 05:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Do you have a different link to the actual kit you mention? The review you linked clearly states that a power supply is not included, and I'm also not sure where you saw a case and controls included? Mr Broskie does also sell power supply filter/regulator boards, but AFAIK not transformers and some of the other necessities to make a working project. His documentation is pretty good, but a certain level of self sufficiency is expected, at least judging from the couple of things I've bought from him.

Last edited by Passinwind; 16th May 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 16th May 2013, 06:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No the case and controls nor the power supply. I think the kit he's referring to included 2 pcb's plus resistors and caps to build what's on the board, he said he used another scematic to add the power supply plus the selector switch, volume attenuator and balance control.

I think the photos shoe the pream and the power supply plus all the other parts to build the computer kit.
Old 16th May 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My other choice would be once of the preamp ki sets that let you design the kit you from a few options for caps, chokes, tubes, etc. from:

Mat S1 Preamplifier Complete Kit (Stereo), Mod Based on Matisse Fantasy_Preamplifier Kit Set_Valve Amplifier Kit_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

The kit sets at the bottom of the page definitely give you case. It's just with those kits you have choices to build it the way you want plus I don't think you get much more than a schematic....which I trying to learn how to read.
Old 16th May 2013, 06:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My other choice would be once of the preamp ki sets that let you design the kit you from a few options for caps, chokes, tubes, etc. from:

Mat S1 Preamplifier Complete Kit (Stereo), Mod Based on Matisse Fantasy_Preamplifier Kit Set_Valve Amplifier Kit_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

The kit sets at the bottom of the page definitely give you case. It's just with those kits you have choices to build it the way you want plus I don't think you get much more than a schematic....which I trying to learn how to read.
Old 16th May 2013, 01:12 PM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Most modern systems don't need a line stage at all, which could explain why you are unhappy with your current one.
Old 17th May 2013, 02:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sprags, The Matisse does sound good, but the gain is just too high. I built one and then stuck it in a drawer.

If you can do without a line stage that's great.

I built the Aikido dual 9 pin mono boards and use 8CG7's. Sound fine to me.
Old 17th May 2013, 08:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanchangbob View Post
Sprags, The Matisse does sound good, but the gain is just too high. I built one and then stuck it in a drawer.

If you can do without a line stage that's great.

I built the Aikido dual 9 pin mono boards and use 8CG7's. Sound fine to me.

Being a total noob to electronics I need all the help I can get. Can you recommend a source for schematics and assembly instructions? I know how to solder and machine whatever I need to for assembling the electronic components into a chassis. I just need help with the electronics.

Thank you...Blake
Old 18th May 2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Mihan is offline Mihan  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The new Aikido 12VAC kit includes PCB and all parts, runs off a 12 volt wall wort or transformer and only costs $US79, excluding 6DJ8 tubes. It is probably the simplest of John Broskie's kits to construct and comes with instruction manual.

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aikido12vac.html

Last edited by Mihan; 18th May 2013 at 08:12 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!