diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Akido preamp suggestions. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/236070-akido-preamp-suggestions.html)

Sprags 16th May 2013 05:19 AM

Akido preamp suggestions.

Hello all,

Audiogon led me to someone selling an Akido line stage preamp which led me to a review which led me to a kit web site.

I would really like to get myself into actually building a kit. The kit sells for $150 - a power supply, chassis and cover and controls. The kit even includes the tubes and a book of building suggestions and schematics. In the he says it cost him something like $400 total to build this kit.

I already have a preamp but for some reason there is something about it I just don't like.

Can someone tell if this Akido preamp kit would be a godd starter piece of audio equipment for me to get started with? I work as a manufacturing engineer ...it's just that electronics still baffle me because I can't see anything move when electricity runs through wires and the only time I know something is when I see smoke or smell something burning. I'll try to find the first kink and would appreciate any comments...even mean ones.
Blake

Sprags 16th May 2013 05:23 AM

Here is the link that got me interested:

REVIEW: Glass-Ware Aikido Line Stage Kit Preamplifier (Tube) - amioutaline? - Amp/Preamp Asylum

Please let me know if this is something a complete newbie can do if I take my time?

Thank again....Blake

Passinwind 16th May 2013 05:45 AM

Do you have a different link to the actual kit you mention? The review you linked clearly states that a power supply is not included, and I'm also not sure where you saw a case and controls included? Mr Broskie does also sell power supply filter/regulator boards, but AFAIK not transformers and some of the other necessities to make a working project. His documentation is pretty good, but a certain level of self sufficiency is expected, at least judging from the couple of things I've bought from him.

Sprags 16th May 2013 06:22 AM

No the case and controls nor the power supply. I think the kit he's referring to included 2 pcb's plus resistors and caps to build what's on the board, he said he used another scematic to add the power supply plus the selector switch, volume attenuator and balance control.

I think the photos shoe the pream and the power supply plus all the other parts to build the computer kit.

Sprags 16th May 2013 06:30 AM

My other choice would be once of the preamp ki sets that let you design the kit you from a few options for caps, chokes, tubes, etc. from:

Mat S1 Preamplifier Complete Kit (Stereo), Mod Based on Matisse Fantasy_Preamplifier Kit Set_Valve Amplifier Kit_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

The kit sets at the bottom of the page definitely give you case. It's just with those kits you have choices to build it the way you want plus I don't think you get much more than a schematic....which I trying to learn how to read.

Sprags 16th May 2013 06:30 AM

My other choice would be once of the preamp ki sets that let you design the kit you from a few options for caps, chokes, tubes, etc. from:

Mat S1 Preamplifier Complete Kit (Stereo), Mod Based on Matisse Fantasy_Preamplifier Kit Set_Valve Amplifier Kit_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

The kit sets at the bottom of the page definitely give you case. It's just with those kits you have choices to build it the way you want plus I don't think you get much more than a schematic....which I trying to learn how to read.

DF96 16th May 2013 01:12 PM

Most modern systems don't need a line stage at all, which could explain why you are unhappy with your current one.

nanchangbob 17th May 2013 02:42 PM

Sprags, The Matisse does sound good, but the gain is just too high. I built one and then stuck it in a drawer.

If you can do without a line stage that's great.

I built the Aikido dual 9 pin mono boards and use 8CG7's. Sound fine to me.

Sprags 17th May 2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanchangbob (Post 3494801)
Sprags, The Matisse does sound good, but the gain is just too high. I built one and then stuck it in a drawer.

If you can do without a line stage that's great.

I built the Aikido dual 9 pin mono boards and use 8CG7's. Sound fine to me.

Being a total noob to electronics I need all the help I can get. Can you recommend a source for schematics and assembly instructions? I know how to solder and machine whatever I need to for assembling the electronic components into a chassis. I just need help with the electronics.

Thank you...Blake

Mihan 18th May 2013 08:01 AM

The new Aikido 12VAC kit includes PCB and all parts, runs off a 12 volt wall wort or transformer and only costs $US79, excluding 6DJ8 tubes. It is probably the simplest of John Broskie's kits to construct and comes with instruction manual.

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aikido12vac.html