• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Akido preamp suggestions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Audiogon led me to someone selling an Akido line stage preamp which led me to a review which led me to a kit web site.

I would really like to get myself into actually building a kit. The kit sells for $150 - a power supply, chassis and cover and controls. The kit even includes the tubes and a book of building suggestions and schematics. In the he says it cost him something like $400 total to build this kit.

I already have a preamp but for some reason there is something about it I just don't like.

Can someone tell if this Akido preamp kit would be a godd starter piece of audio equipment for me to get started with? I work as a manufacturing engineer ...it's just that electronics still baffle me because I can't see anything move when electricity runs through wires and the only time I know something is when I see smoke or smell something burning. I'll try to find the first kink and would appreciate any comments...even mean ones.
Blake

Do you have a different link to the actual kit you mention? The review you linked clearly states that a power supply is not included, and I'm also not sure where you saw a case and controls included? Mr Broskie does also sell power supply filter/regulator boards, but AFAIK not transformers and some of the other necessities to make a working project. His documentation is pretty good, but a certain level of self sufficiency is expected, at least judging from the couple of things I've bought from him.

Last edited:
No the case and controls nor the power supply. I think the kit he's referring to included 2 pcb's plus resistors and caps to build what's on the board, he said he used another scematic to add the power supply plus the selector switch, volume attenuator and balance control.

I think the photos shoe the pream and the power supply plus all the other parts to build the computer kit.

My other choice would be once of the preamp ki sets that let you design the kit you from a few options for caps, chokes, tubes, etc. from:

Mat S1 Preamplifier Complete Kit (Stereo), Mod Based on Matisse Fantasy_Preamplifier Kit Set_Valve Amplifier Kit_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

The kit sets at the bottom of the page definitely give you case. It's just with those kits you have choices to build it the way you want plus I don't think you get much more than a schematic....which I trying to learn how to read.

My other choice would be once of the preamp ki sets that let you design the kit you from a few options for caps, chokes, tubes, etc. from:

Mat S1 Preamplifier Complete Kit (Stereo), Mod Based on Matisse Fantasy_Preamplifier Kit Set_Valve Amplifier Kit_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit

The kit sets at the bottom of the page definitely give you case. It's just with those kits you have choices to build it the way you want plus I don't think you get much more than a schematic....which I trying to learn how to read.

Sprags, The Matisse does sound good, but the gain is just too high. I built one and then stuck it in a drawer.

If you can do without a line stage that's great.

I built the Aikido dual 9 pin mono boards and use 8CG7's. Sound fine to me.

Being a total noob to electronics I need all the help I can get. Can you recommend a source for schematics and assembly instructions? I know how to solder and machine whatever I need to for assembling the electronic components into a chassis. I just need help with the electronics.

Thank you...Blake

A couple of weeks ago I posted this question about Akido preamps in general and a forum member suggested this preamp as a way of getting me started with building a preamp. I see from the web site's description that it says other power supplies can be used as alternatives to the Wall wart power supply. I've also read through this forum and see other threads about this preamp with alternate power supplies. Can someone tell how or why an power supply such as the Hammond toroidal transformer improves the preamp? Does it help improve its sound characteristics?

Also...since someone told me the instructions are detailed for a newbie if those instructions also describe to build it for something like the Hammond toroidal power supply transformer?

I know..I should probably be asking Akido these question but I appreciate the feedback here.

Thanks again in advance.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My Glassware Aikido 6CG7

I really LOVE my Aikido, If you need gain then I would really look at going with a Glassware kit.
I went with the 9-pin All in One.
Here is my thread.

Attachments

• Finished.JPG
    Finished.JPG
    708.7 KB · Views: 711
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have cracked open MANY "wall warts" to find very cheap poor quality mass produced crap inside.
I have an Antek AN-0212 just waiting for another Aikido.
Generally a Torodial transformer will have a smaller "Sphere of Influence" than an E, C or I core transformer will.
So.....if you were to use an onboard transformer I would go with one of those AN-0212's or similar, you would just need to purchase an IEC inlet w/ fuse.

I really LOVE my Aikido, If you need gain then I would really look at going with a Glassware kit.
I went with the 9-pin All in One.
Here is my thread.

That build looks really nice. Can you tell me if you built that from a kit from Glassware? And if you did can you tell me what option choices you picked as far the resistors, caps, tubes, etc. and can you tell me what power supply transformer is in your preamp?

We're the instruction provided detailed enough for a newbie to build?

Thanks again in advance as usual. :)

Blake

Aikido 12Vac preamp

A couple of weeks ago I posted this question about Akido preamps in general and a forum member suggested this preamp as a way of getting me started with building a preamp. I see from the web site's description that it says other power supplies can be used as alternatives to the Wall wart power supply. I've also read through this forum and see other threads about this preamp with alternate power supplies. Can someone tell how or why an power supply such as the Hammond toroidal transformer improves the preamp? Does it help improve its sound characteristics?

Also...since someone told me the instructions are detailed for a newbie if those instructions also describe to build it for something like the Hammond toroidal power supply transformer?

I know..I should probably be asking Akido these question but I appreciate the feedback here.

Thanks again in advance.

Sprags, I recommend you read this article on his Aikido 12Vac by John Broskie in the Tubecad Journal. It describes the theory behind it and his own build of one.

Aikido 12Vac

I recommend this kit over the other Aikido kits for a newbie because you will not have make any decisions on alternative parts (i.e. resistors) that he leaves for the builder to make with the other kits. He assumes that the builder has some experience and knows how to wire up the inputs and outputs etc. I think you will find this kit less intimidating than the others.
Because of it's price it's a good place to start and you will get the Aikido sound.

While you're at the Tubecad Journal website you could download a pdf of one of the other Aikido preamps ( I suggest the 5687 for example) to give you an idea of the sort of manual he provides. I think the 12Vac will be simpler though.

The Aikido 9 pin All-in-one described above in an earlier post is no longer available and has been replaced by the Aikido Noval Stereo kit and requires a separate PS-14 power supply which makes it more complicated for a newbie. The 5687 All-In-One kit is still available, however.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I built the Glassware 9-Pin All in one Aikido.
I chose to use the 6CG7 tube for both sections.
I don't think the one I used is available anymore but the 5687 All-in-One PCB & User Guide is very similar it just uses the 5687 tube instead.
The instructions are very clear and it's more like soldering practice than real work.
I went with WIMA capacitors for the PS bypass capacitors and Obbligato 1.0uf Coupling Capacitors.
I used the Antek AS-05T240 Transformer I just used the 220V tap and insulated off the 240 tap.

The project took me a little over a month to complete but if I had to do it again I could probably do it in a weekend.
The support I got here from more people than I can count was truly exceptional.

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/56alpcbusgu.html

That build looks really nice. Can you tell me if you built that from a kit from Glassware? And if you did can you tell me what option choices you picked as far the resistors, caps, tubes, etc. and can you tell me what power supply transformer is in your preamp?

We're the instructions provided detailed enough for a newbie to build?

Blake,

Here's one iteration of the Mono Octal Line Driver I built from a Glassware board, but back then John only included a few other pieces and I was on my own for the power supply, cap and resistor choices, tube choices, etc. I'm not normally one to stick to the plans anyway, so that was fine by me. The new kits and manuals seem a lot closer to what you want (especially the LV ones), and of course you do have this forum to help you out if you get hung up on something.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.