Akido preamp suggestions. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2013, 03:30 AM   #31
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

How much difficulty does using a toroidal transformer as a power source add to the difficulty of the electronics assembly of the preamp as opposed to just a Wallwart PS?

The article someone posted on this thread pointed to John Broskie's article on the preamp and I that got me really interested as an alternative to the Wallwart PS.

i really like the idea of that build instead of just using a Wallwart PS. I'd like to have it set up to also have inputs for 3 sound sources. Would the resistors that say they are for a Wallwart PS work for a toroidal transformer? I'm asking because the order form specifies Wallwart PS for the resistor choices in the options. I understand I'd need a larger enclosure than the one specified in that article and that's not a problem either.

...Blake

Last edited by Sprags; 27th May 2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 27th May 2013, 04:11 AM   #32
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't say for certain on the WallWart transformer resistors but it may be for a little filtration.

OTOH doing an internal toroid would just require a larger case and an IEC Power Inlet Module.
I have used these IEC's for three projects now and they are great because they have the socket, fuse and power switch all in one.

Broskie has an input source selector kit but I think they are sold out for now.
Old 27th May 2013, 04:21 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

I saw that about the selector switch. I sent an email on Friday and I imagine I will get a response sometime next week.

Thanks for the info. I may build the enclosure out of wood on the four sides and base and perhaps use sheet aluminum for the top cover. It's easy to work with and I have the tools.

I can also start planning the build using 3D CAD modeling software since I can get sizes for the PCB and transformer off the web.
Old 27th May 2013, 04:24 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Well if you go with the 6DJ8 tubes then you would need the Antek AS-0512.
The dimensions are right on the product page, the measurements found there are a little on the big side from actual.
An aluminum Top and Bottom would be ideal.
Old 27th May 2013, 04:29 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

An input selector like THIS might just be perfect for you.
It runs off of 12VAC just like the preamp.
Old 27th May 2013, 05:55 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einric View Post
Well if you go with the 6DJ8 tubes then you would need the Antek AS-0512.
The dimensions are right on the product page, the measurements found there are a little on the big side from actual.
An aluminum Top and Bottom would be ideal.
That looks like the transformer specified in John Broskie's article. That's exactly what I'm looking for. After thinking about it an all aluminum enclosure is probably a better choice.

I'm not sure how the selector switch on ebay is supposed to work. I thought it would be just a rotary switch on a small PCB where I'd connect wires from the 12 Vac preamp board. Not something as complicated as that looks. Excuse by lack of understanding from ignorance of electronics.
Old 27th May 2013, 01:03 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Sure, use whatever you think you are most comfortable with, first projects can be very intimidating.
The one on Ebay comes fully assembled, and the connections look very simple to me.
I'll help you the best I can which ever way you choose.
Old 27th May 2013, 03:24 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sure, use whatever you think you are most comfortable with, first projects can be very intimidating.
The one on Ebay comes fully assembled, and the connections look very simple to me.
I'll help you the best I can which ever way you choose.
Thank you.
Old 27th May 2013, 11:45 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
An input selector like THIS might just be perfect for you.
It runs off of 12VAC just like the preamp.
I looked more closely at the link you posted for the selector relay. To be honest I looked the first photo and didn't scroll down to even bother looking at the schematic. I then scrolled down further and saw the ribbon cable and rotary selector....so....this looks interesting...but...

Can you tell me what the benefit of something like this relay selector is as opposed to just a simple rotary switch?

I take it from the schematic the left and right outputs go to RCA jackets and the ground can just go to the chassis?
Old 28th May 2013, 01:37 AM   #40
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

If you really want an "All in One" kit with everything, maybe a Bottlehead Foreplay Preamp may be recommended...

I run an Aikido 6DJ8 / 12BH7 that I really really like, but it was a lot of finding parts and pieces...while the Foreplay comes complete and sounds great (maybe a little behind the Aikido)

Hide this!Advertise here!