Akido preamp suggestions. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Building Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones would be a great place to start. It will give you a good foundation to work from. Have fun
Old 18th May 2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

I have that book plus another Beginners Guide book on tube amps. Thanks for the advice...Blake
Old 25th May 2013, 04:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

A couple of weeks ago I posted this question about Akido preamps in general and a forum member suggested this preamp as a way of getting me started with building a preamp. I see from the web site's description that it says other power supplies can be used as alternatives to the Wall wart power supply. I've also read through this forum and see other threads about this preamp with alternate power supplies. Can someone tell how or why an power supply such as the Hammond toroidal transformer improves the preamp? Does it help improve its sound characteristics?

Also...since someone told me the instructions are detailed for a newbie if those instructions also describe to build it for something like the Hammond toroidal power supply transformer?

I know..I should probably be asking Akido these question but I appreciate the feedback here.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 25th May 2013, 04:46 AM   #14
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My Glassware Aikido 6CG7

I really LOVE my Aikido, If you need gain then I would really look at going with a Glassware kit.
I went with the 9-pin All in One.
Here is my thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished.JPG (708.7 KB, 366 views)
Old 25th May 2013, 05:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have cracked open MANY "wall warts" to find very cheap poor quality mass produced crap inside.
I have an Antek AN-0212 just waiting for another Aikido.
Generally a Torodial transformer will have a smaller "Sphere of Influence" than an E, C or I core transformer will.
So.....if you were to use an onboard transformer I would go with one of those AN-0212's or similar, you would just need to purchase an IEC inlet w/ fuse.
Old 25th May 2013, 05:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einric View Post
I really LOVE my Aikido, If you need gain then I would really look at going with a Glassware kit.
I went with the 9-pin All in One.
Here is my thread.
That build looks really nice. Can you tell me if you built that from a kit from Glassware? And if you did can you tell me what option choices you picked as far the resistors, caps, tubes, etc. and can you tell me what power supply transformer is in your preamp?

We're the instruction provided detailed enough for a newbie to build?

Thanks again in advance as usual. :-)

Blake
Old 25th May 2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Mihan is offline Mihan  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido 12Vac preamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprags View Post
A couple of weeks ago I posted this question about Akido preamps in general and a forum member suggested this preamp as a way of getting me started with building a preamp. I see from the web site's description that it says other power supplies can be used as alternatives to the Wall wart power supply. I've also read through this forum and see other threads about this preamp with alternate power supplies. Can someone tell how or why an power supply such as the Hammond toroidal transformer improves the preamp? Does it help improve its sound characteristics?

Also...since someone told me the instructions are detailed for a newbie if those instructions also describe to build it for something like the Hammond toroidal power supply transformer?

I know..I should probably be asking Akido these question but I appreciate the feedback here.

Thanks again in advance.
Sprags, I recommend you read this article on his Aikido 12Vac by John Broskie in the Tubecad Journal. It describes the theory behind it and his own build of one.

Aikido 12Vac

I recommend this kit over the other Aikido kits for a newbie because you will not have make any decisions on alternative parts (i.e. resistors) that he leaves for the builder to make with the other kits. He assumes that the builder has some experience and knows how to wire up the inputs and outputs etc. I think you will find this kit less intimidating than the others.
Because of it's price it's a good place to start and you will get the Aikido sound.

While you're at the Tubecad Journal website you could download a pdf of one of the other Aikido preamps ( I suggest the 5687 for example) to give you an idea of the sort of manual he provides. I think the 12Vac will be simpler though.

The Aikido 9 pin All-in-one described above in an earlier post is no longer available and has been replaced by the Aikido Noval Stereo kit and requires a separate PS-14 power supply which makes it more complicated for a newbie. The 5687 All-In-One kit is still available, however.

Last edited by Mihan; 25th May 2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 25th May 2013, 02:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I built the Glassware 9-Pin All in one Aikido.
I chose to use the 6CG7 tube for both sections.
I don't think the one I used is available anymore but the 5687 All-in-One PCB & User Guide is very similar it just uses the 5687 tube instead.
The instructions are very clear and it's more like soldering practice than real work.
I went with WIMA capacitors for the PS bypass capacitors and Obbligato 1.0uf Coupling Capacitors.
I used the Antek AS-05T240 Transformer I just used the 220V tap and insulated off the 240 tap.

The project took me a little over a month to complete but if I had to do it again I could probably do it in a weekend.
The support I got here from more people than I can count was truly exceptional.

Old 25th May 2013, 10:22 PM   #19
zany is offline zany  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mihan's suggestion for a newbie is a good one.

My Aikido LV went live last night, love it! Highly recommended... the only drawback is the 6GM8 tubes are getting expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aikidolv.JPG (767.1 KB, 315 views)
Old 25th May 2013, 10:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprags View Post
That build looks really nice. Can you tell me if you built that from a kit from Glassware? And if you did can you tell me what option choices you picked as far the resistors, caps, tubes, etc. and can you tell me what power supply transformer is in your preamp?

We're the instructions provided detailed enough for a newbie to build?
Blake,

Here's one iteration of the Mono Octal Line Driver I built from a Glassware board, but back then John only included a few other pieces and I was on my own for the power supply, cap and resistor choices, tube choices, etc. I'm not normally one to stick to the plans anyway, so that was fine by me. The new kits and manuals seem a lot closer to what you want (especially the LV ones), and of course you do have this forum to help you out if you get hung up on something.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!