Another PP GU50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Another PP GU50

This is schematic for my new PP with GU50. Max power more than 100W, THD at 80W 0.55%. I plan to build that amp in next few mounths. All voltages other than 700V will be regulated.
Ask for comments.
Attached Images
File Type: png GU50 C3G PP.png (31.5 KB, 395 views)
Old 30th April 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, I think it would be good to leave some more headroom for the source followers. With headroom I mean a bit more than the +20V (maybe +100V) and possibly more negative voltage as well (more than -100V, and larger resistor). The reason is that the capacitances of mosfets are not very linear when VDS becomes small, so it is better to have at least 30V VDS under all circumstances.

I think your definitive amplifier will have independent voltage sources (pots) for bias adjustments, to compensate for differences between GU50's?

have you looked into the 'bestpentode' connection for the input stage? I do not know if it works together with the local feedback arrangement, but I think it will. It could give a bit more gain, less noise, and possibly better balance in the LTP.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Good luck! :-)

Please come back when you get some results, and I will share my Pyramid experiences. And probably PCBs. :-)
Old 1st May 2013, 09:37 AM   #4
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

IRFP240 as followers at 90 mA? Surely not - there are far better suited MOSFETs, IRFP240 has WAY too much capacitance, and this will be extremely nonlinear as Vgd approaches 8-10V. Even at 100mA per follower (which seems a bit excessive but I am guessing you are trying to make the change in current lower as the G1 of the GU50 goes positive) there are better (smaller) MOSFETs to use, also a bit more voltage on the current 20V supply...

Last edited by ilimzn; 1st May 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 1st May 2013, 09:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilimzn View Post
IRFP240 as followers at a few mA? Surely not - there are far better suited MOSFETs, IRFP240 has WAY too much capacitance.
Yes I know that. This is testing schematic in LTSpice. I am still looking for better MOSFET. Which one do you prefer?
Old 1st May 2013, 09:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikdeBest View Post
Hi, I think it would be good to leave some more headroom for the source followers. With headroom I mean a bit more than the +20V (maybe +100V) and possibly more negative voltage as well (more than -100V, and larger resistor). The reason is that the capacitances of mosfets are not very linear when VDS becomes small, so it is better to have at least 30V VDS under all circumstances.

I think your definitive amplifier will have independent voltage sources (pots) for bias adjustments, to compensate for differences between GU50's?

have you looked into the 'bestpentode' connection for the input stage? I do not know if it works together with the local feedback arrangement, but I think it will. It could give a bit more gain, less noise, and possibly better balance in the LTP.
Very good idea for bestpentode, I must find the Linear Audio publicitation where is that described. I belive that is in volume 1?
Old 1st May 2013, 10:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think your design lacks the possibility of adjusting the GU50's bias, doesn't it?

Best regards!
Old 1st May 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
I think your design lacks the possibility of adjusting the GU50's bias, doesn't it?

Best regards!
As I wrote before - this is working schematic for LTSpice. I always do bias like this:
Attached Images
File Type: gif gu50pp bias.gif (4.5 KB, 304 views)
Old 1st May 2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Funker is offline Funker  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matejsirk View Post
As I wrote before - this is working schematic for LTSpice. I always do bias like this:
Hi,
it will be more comfortable to use two potmeters , one for the bias balance and another to set the idle current, like this example:

Wolfgang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg idle-current-1.JPG (73.9 KB, 280 views)
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:14 AM   #10
FLT is offline FLT
diyAudio Member

Default bias circuit

Hi,

I prefer this circuit:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...s-kt88_amp.png

No matter which trimpot fails the bias voltage will go full negative and
switch-off the tubes.

No, I am not kruesi...but i use the same bias circuit for my amps.

regards

Hide this!Advertise here!