Need help identifying this tube... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 03:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help identifying this tube...

Hey Lads....

Working on an old German-made guitar amplifier and one tube has me stumped...no silkscreen markings remaining, no identification marks other than the TFK diamond stamped on the base of the glass envelope.

It is situated on its lonesome in a section marked "vibrator" some form of European equivalent to a reverb section...

There's no schematic for this strange beast but the tube complement is as follows

EZ80 Rectifier
2 x EL84
2 x ECC83
1 x EF804
1 x EM85
1 x ??? Reverb Tube?

Have done some posting on ampgarage.com but perhaps one of the diyAudio tube eagle-eyes here can identify this puppy.

I have attached a few other contextual images of the chassis and amp as well.

Thanks. Leo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg german amp2 003.jpg (496.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg german amp2 001.jpg (485.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg German Amp 036.jpg (455.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg German Amp 029.jpg (697.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg vibrator.jpg (904.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 29th April 2013, 05:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

old style EF86?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsindetails View Post
Hey Lads....

Working on an old German-made guitar amplifier and one tube has me stumped...no silkscreen markings remaining, no identification marks other than the TFK diamond stamped on the base of the glass envelope.

It is situated on its lonesome in a section marked "vibrator" some form of European equivalent to a reverb section...

There's no schematic for this strange beast but the tube complement is as follows

EZ80 Rectifier
2 x EL84
2 x ECC83
1 x EF804
1 x EM85
1 x ??? Reverb Tube?

Have done some posting on ampgarage.com but perhaps one of the diyAudio tube eagle-eyes here can identify this puppy.

I have attached a few other contextual images of the chassis and amp as well.

Thanks. Leo
Old 29th April 2013, 06:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, could be a an EF86 - I just had a look at a couple of Tfk EF86s on hand and they appear to be of same construction except for colour of shield - bright nickel, not grey coated as in your pics. The EF804 and others like EF80, 184 etc are quite different in appearance, and a bit taller, so not one those IMHO.
Old 29th April 2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Tesla88 is offline Tesla88  Italy
diyAudio Member

Sure is a reverb and not a tremolo/vibrato circuit ? I can't see the reverb tank ...

Anyway , the best way to find what kind of tube is it , is to look how is connected and how it works ...
Old 29th April 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

That is what I always think of as the 'German' style of screened small-signal pentode. EF86, EF80 etc. come in this form. It looks quite different from the silvery Mullard/Philips style screen or the silvery (but very different) Russian style screen.

Check the pinout. At the very least that would narrow it down.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla88 View Post
Sure is a reverb and not a tremolo/vibrato circuit ? I can't see the reverb tank ...

Anyway , the best way to find what kind of tube is it , is to look how is connected and how it works ...
I think you are right...the german "vibrator" marking must be a vibrator circuit and not a traditional reverb section as there is no reverb tank.

I too speculated that it could be an EF86 except that it is unlike anything I have on hand and the top of the plate looks radically different to me...
Old 30th April 2013, 12:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
That is what I always think of as the 'German' style of screened small-signal pentode. EF86, EF80 etc. come in this form. It looks quite different from the silvery Mullard/Philips style screen or the silvery (but very different) Russian style screen.

Check the pinout. At the very least that would narrow it down.
Yes, will do....
Old 30th April 2013, 04:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Mystery solved. The tube is an EF806

EF 806S, Tube EF806S; Röhre EF 806S ID18608, Vacuum Pentode

Thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Leon

Hide this!Advertise here!